Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

modern glitches of 2006/2007 - Page 1

modern glitches of 2006/2007

Posted by: cheater
Date: 2007-09-02 13:11:30
Hi! I am a former member of GCL's ancestor site, PPRL. I used to be quite a GameSharker but these days I haven't had time to follow the new generations of Pok?mon. I came to this site yesterday and would like to say wow, I am amazed it is still up and going. I saw some great resources such as the GlitchDex, Old Man trick name generator, and GlitchBattle that show the dedication and creativity of the site's authors.

I looked over the glitch resources for classic R/B/Y, and I did notice that it could use updating to include some of the modern glitches such as the dokokashira door glitch and complete walk-through-walls glitch. I scanned the forums, but i didn't see any mention of these there either. These are the kinds of glitches that were pushed out by speedrunners within the last year.

Most of these glitches are described in detail over at hanzou's site. (By the way, his site also still holds content mirrored from the old PPRL!) If you have BitTorrent, at TASvideos you can also download a full movie of tool-assisted play using these speed-oriented glitches. Interestingly, the Old Man trick, which is the origin of Abwayax's name, never gets used in that aforementioned video because it's too slow. On the other hand, the walk-through-walls trick is the main magic and that is after all a variation of glitch city, from which this site takes its name.

Speedrunners have been unable to push out substantial glitches in G/S/C, R/S/E, or D/P, and I see this site also lacks on substantial glitches for those games. I wonder if these games are programmed more solidly, or perhaps it's just too early.

I also have another question that some of you might be able to answer. I noticed there is a small spot on this page for the so-called  R/S/E Celebi Glitch. Back in the days when I wold cause havoc on Pok?mon forums by talking about GameSharkery, I posted on an odd forum dedicated to the possibility of a glitch for finding Celebi. I am definitely supporting of glitch research, but I disliked that site's amateur approach, where the site leader would discarded reason, make false claims (1 in 1 billion!), or claim he disassembled the ROM when he didn't even know what disassemble meant. These guys were also pushing their agenda on serebii.net at the time. I was hoping to go back to that site years later and see how they are are fairing with their continued claims, but I am not sure if it still exists. Does anybody know what happened to these guys?

Anyway, I would love to hear from the community here, especially Abwayax. Nice to meet you all. :)

Re: modern glitches of 2006/2007

Posted by: Sorreah
Date: 2007-09-02 20:46:35
Hello veteran! I just joined :P

I'd have to say that the later games were programmed much more effectively than R/B/Y. For one, the programmers learned from their mistakes. Heck, considering all the chaos of these early games that you can access WITHOUT a gameshark, it almost feels like a beta game XD. The programmers must have been so embarassed when they first heard about MissingNo :P

Of course time would be an issue too, since R/B/Y are the oldest games. Some big stuff is starting to come through for G/S/C via "Bad Clone glitch" however.

Ruby, Sapphire, Firered, and Leafgreen seem to be the cleanest of the games, though ironically Emerald, the so-called perfected game over these four, introduced some very odd, and very useful, glitches.

Diamond and Pearl have quite a few glitches as well. I think that's mainly b/c of the sudden transition to a new system plus all the extra features added. This didn't happen with Ruby and Sapphire because, although they jumped from GB to GBA, their game system changed very little, the only new features being double battles and the contests.

That's my two cents, anyway.   

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2007-09-03 07:52:50
Dokokashira door glitch? WTH?

Abwayax where are you? :)

Date: 2007-09-03 11:57:59
Guy you sure post a lot and post often across these forums ;D. Dokokashira is the one you can read about if you click 'beat the game in 7 minutes' on the glitch page I linked above. Also here is a direct link to a YouTube vid. It's too bad this particular glitch only works on the Japanese red/green versions.

Posted by: d3ad connection
Date: 2007-09-03 12:27:04
Abwayax is on hiatus until Glitchdex 2.0 is done.

Re: Abwayax where are you? :)

Date: 2007-09-03 16:46:03

Guy you sure post a lot and post often across these forums ;D. Dokokashira is the one you can read about if you click 'beat the game in 7 minutes' on the glitch page I linked above. Also here is a direct link to a YouTube vid. It's too bad this particular glitch only works on the Japanese red/green versions.
I don't really undrstand it…

dokokashira door glitch overview

Date: 2007-09-04 02:29:16
Hey Guy, primo of TASvideos wrote a decent explanation here. Hope that helps.

Date: 2007-09-04 08:28:21
got it  ;)

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2007-10-05 17:10:49
Are we forgetting the Tweaking/Holepunching Glitch?

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-10-07 14:32:43

You will never let us forget that. ;)

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2007-10-07 14:56:48

As much as I try and try to do it, I can't!

Date: 2007-10-08 10:02:48
What is that anyway? Was never on the site…

Posted by: Sorreah
Date: 2007-10-08 18:02:58
I think it involves riding on the bike and somehow getting it to cross into the "Mystery zone" (black area), so you can access Darkrai and Shaymin.