Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

My theory on glitches - Page 1

My theory on glitches

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2006-09-08 17:32:50
Red/Blue/Yellow
Nintendo and Gamefreak used (pixel-variety) MissingNos instead of Pokemon while programming the game. They were left in because they thought nobody would be able to get to them (without Gameshark/etc). Ghost/Fossil MissingNos are needed in the game for the ghost/fossil sprites. All the other glitches are just elements of the game represented as Pokemon (with 'M having Pixel MissingNo's game elements).

Gold/Silver/Crystal
The Egg glitch is needed in the game for the egg sprite. ????? are just filling up the unused hex slots in the game (with many glitchy effects).

Ruby/Sapphire
The Bad Egg is needed for the Third Generation Egg Sprite (same as Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen). ?????????? is the Pokemon used when programming (and is needed for the 'empty Pokedex' sprite). ? is in the game because presumeably, ?'s sprite was the 'empty Pokedex' sprite in beta versions of the game.

FireRed/LeafGreen
The only glitch that's sprite is used in these games is Bad Egg (for the Third Generation Egg Sprite). ?????????? (or ????? as it is known in Japanese versions of the game) was probably used in programming (there is no 'empty Pokedex' sprite in these games). Whether ? is in the games or not is unknown.

Emerald
The only 'usuable' glitch in this game is Bad Egg (needed for (surprise, surprise) the Third Generation Egg Sprite). ?????????? freezes the game and it is not known if ? is in the game.

There you are, my theory on glitches in all Pokemon games, whether First, Second or Third Generation.

(Edits:
Edit 1: Edited to comply with Abwayax's wishes (? instead of ??))

Re: My theory on glitches

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2006-09-08 17:48:30
Personly I think that they are put in to prevent more serious fatal glitches/crashes from occuring but as slightly scattered data and usuable as they knew that someone may try Cheat-cartrages to get these blank spots.

Posted by: PokemonPichu
Date: 2006-09-08 20:06:48
I should do a study on ????? and make an article about it sometimes…

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2006-09-08 21:10:40
Missingno stands for Missing Number, and is an error message generated when one tries to access a hex slot from 00 to BE that doesn't code for a Pokemon. Suggesting Nintendo would put a data-corrupting Pokemon in intentionally doesn't cut it.

Oh, and:
?? was in the game because presumeably, ??'s sprite was the 'empty Pokedex' sprite in beta versions of the game.

Its name is ?. One question mark. -.- And it is indeed in Emerald and Fr/Lg, as those games are (presumably) based off code from R/S.