Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

Permanent glitches? - Page 1

Permanent glitches?

Posted by: Xakoro
Date: 2012-01-21 16:49:34
I'm wondering if
A) there are glitches that remain after the save is deleted and the gameboy is off,
B) if there are any glitches that damage or destroy the game itself, rather than the save data,
C) if B exists, how does it affect emulators?
I'd be thankful for the enlightenment.

Re: Permanent glitches?

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2012-01-21 17:33:52
Never heard of any. All glitches are "forgotten" once you reset w/o saving (not sure about ZZAZZ though).

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2012-01-21 19:09:08
When the game crashes (G/S/C/R/B/Y), it writes a lot of values as $0039.  On emulators (like VBA), this sometimes infects unused portions of the SRAM.  Even starting a new game doesn't clear the values.

Destroying the game is an impossibility due to the fact the GBZ80 and the system itself can't write to any ROM value whatsoever.  Forcing it to do so causes it to lockup instead.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2012-01-21 20:32:11
It can, kinda, long story ahead…

A long time ago, I caught a crapload (well, probably 5 or so) of 'M and Missingno., and about a month later my game was erased. I made a new game and did more glitches this time than just the "Old Man Trick". I ended up experimenting with the "Cooltrainer move" (the 00 move) by swapping out Ditto's Transform for a blank spot (You have to transform and swap the first move with something else, and after the battle it becomes glitched).

I observed that occasionally rather than just "DITTO used !" (and the occasional Super Glitch) you would get text such as "DITTO used ELECTABUZZ!", "DITTO used ARCENINE!" etc. I also observed that these were Pokémon in my current box. So, I switched to an empty box and played some more. This time it spat out the name of my previous savefile.

This would suggest that glitches can leave remnants? Or perhaps that it had a sort of backup remnant from the previous savefile, that can't be accessed without glitch?

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2012-01-22 00:17:49

When the game crashes (G/S/C/R/B/Y), it writes a lot of values as $0039.  On emulators (like VBA), this sometimes infects unused portions of the SRAM.  Even starting a new game doesn't clear the values.

However, replacing the internal battery will clear everything up.

Posted by: SnorlaxMonster
Date: 2012-03-23 19:46:01

It can, kinda, long story ahead…

A long time ago, I caught a crapload (well, probably 5 or so) of 'M and Missingno., and about a month later my game was erased. I made a new game and did more glitches this time than just the "Old Man Trick". I ended up experimenting with the "Cooltrainer move" (the 00 move) by swapping out Ditto's Transform for a blank spot (You have to transform and swap the first move with something else, and after the battle it becomes glitched).

I observed that occasionally rather than just "DITTO used !" (and the occasional Super Glitch) you would get text such as "DITTO used ELECTABUZZ!", "DITTO used ARCENINE!" etc. I also observed that these were Pokémon in my current box. So, I switched to an empty box and played some more. This time it spat out the name of my previous savefile.

This would suggest that glitches can leave remnants? Or perhaps that it had a sort of backup remnant from the previous savefile, that can't be accessed without glitch?

Unless your name matched one of the default ones, this would indicate that the name value just hasn't been overwritten yet, but the pointers to it are gone.