Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

World's stupidest question - Page 1

World's stupidest question

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2012-12-17 15:25:03
So I'm trying to use some codes on this massive list.

http://glitchcity.info/pokemonrbycodes.txt

How do I tell what the "??"s should be replaced by?

For example, the PC modifier code is 01??26CC. What should ?? be replaced by?

Re: World's stupidest question

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2012-12-17 15:37:10
The "??" should be replaced with whatever item/attack/Pokemon's hexadecimal digit. In other words if you had entered a code to get Rhydon you'd type in 01 in place of the question marks. The list has all the hexadecimal values for each item, move, and Pokemon. ;)

Date: 2012-12-17 16:32:43
Okay, that's what I thought.

But for the music codes (01A013FF, for example), which hex digit list should I use? The music codes seem to be automatically triggered, as opposed to having to use an item or something to activate them.

Sorry, this is really unfamiliar territory to me. I confuzled!

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2012-12-17 17:30:03
A better list is found in these places:

http://glitchcity.info/pokemongscodes.txt

http://glitchcity.info/pokemonccodes.txt

Date: 2012-12-17 18:32:45

A better list is found in these places:

That's the one I'm using.

I'm not really bothering with G/S/C any more, as they're not nearly as fun to play around with. Much more sterile, in terms of glitches, than R/B/Y.

Date: 2012-12-17 18:54:38
There's a part of the list that has most of the music codes, hit control and F at the same time to make a search for "music." There are no hex values documented on that list for the music, but there are tons of codes you could try out. ;) However if you're wanting to play a different tune during certain parts of the game you might want to check this code out and change the "02" to another hex value. (Note I haven't tested this out so i'm not sure if it'll play a different song.)
01025CD0- Play Gym Leader battle music
I know this code works but i've never actually changed the second byte to anything else, but in gameboy gameshark codes the byte in bold is the one you'd change. Hope this helps a bit. :)

Edit: Nevermind setting that address to any value makes this song play. :V However this code seems to work, though I couldn't tell you the music digits. I might make a list (I think I did this in the past but if so that list is long gone…).
01??5BD3
Edit2: Value $EB is Route 1's music. Screw it i'm making a list sometime tonight. ;)

Date: 2012-12-17 21:29:57

Edit2: Value $EB is Route 1's music. Screw it i'm making a list sometime tonight. ;)

Yeah, a list would help considerably.

Some values I tried were only certain channels of BGM (just percussion, for example) and others played a sound once and then were silent.

Date: 2012-12-17 23:24:54
Alright this list is almost complete, there are some tracks I still need to add. However I can't add them yet because I can't update the music in a battle in real time using gameshark codes. I'll encounter some glitch Pokemon to get an idea on what their id's are via the Memory Viewer, but i'm not even sure if that will work with the Gameshark code. Anywho here's the list:
List of Music ID's (Note this is only music and not sound effects nor choppy versions of songs. Might document those later...)
Anything before $BA are just sound effects in the overworld sound bank (except for the Pokeflute jingle. Though I guess technically it is a sound effect...)
List one contains the music that plays during the overworld. List 2 contains the music played in caves and certain buildings.
A theory to why this happens, is that each are stored in two separate sound banks in the sound driver. Once an event
(or warp) is triggered, it loads the proper sound bank that contains the different music. I haven't looked
at the disassembly (yet) so like stated above this is just a theory.
    List 1
$B8- Pokeflute
$BA- Pallet Town's Theme
$BD- Pokemon Center Theme
$C0- Gym Theme
$C3- Viridian City Theme
$C7- Cerulean City Theme
$CA- Celadon City's Theme
$CD- Cinnabar Island
$D0- Vermilion City (also a glitch Pokemon's overworld cry I can't remember which one though :v)
$D4- Lavender Town
$D8- S.S. Anne
$DB- Oak's theme (aka music that plays before you step out into the grass without any Pokemon)
$DE- Rival's Theme
$E1- Follow Me!
$E5- Safari Zone
$E8- Pokemon Healed Jingle
$EB- Route 1's Music
$EF- Nugget Bridge
$F3- Route 22
$F7- Route 12
$FB- Pokemon League gates
    List 2 (Note: Only works in caves, certain buildings see above)
$C3- Title Music
$CD- Oak's Lab
$D0- Jigglypuff's Jingle
$D2- Bike Theme
$D6- Surfing Theme
$D9- Game Corner
$DC- Intro Theme (Fight between Gengar and Nidorino/Jigglypuff)
$E0- Rocket's Hideout
$E4- Diglet's Cave (This was the cave I tested these songs in. :V)
$E8- Mt. Moon
$EC- Pokemon Mansion
$F0- Pokemon Tower
$F3- Silph Co.
$F9- Girl Trainer Encounter theme
$FC- Male Trainer Encounter theme
$FF- No Music (same with Overworld)
I can't seem to get any of the codes to work in battles so I'm not sure about those tracks. I also couldn't figure out the
ID for the evil trainer encounter theme.

Also these are for Blue/Red and I haven't checked out Yellow just yet. I know there are exclusive songs to that game so i'll look into that game later. ;)

Posted by: camper
Date: 2012-12-17 23:32:00
Here's my research on music on List 1 long time ago:
<=$85 unknown sounds, probably from moves
$86 - item found
$89 - evolution complete
$8C - fly location selection
$8D - HP recovered by item
$8E - status healed / fly location selected
$8F - start menu
$90 - continue conversation
$91 - pokedex rating?
$94 - item received
$97 - poison flash
$98 -
$99 -
$9A -
$9B -
$9C -
$9D -
$9E -
$9F - teleport ascending
$A0 - teleport landing
$A1 - teleport spinning
$A2 - enter cave
$A3 -
$A4 - fly
$A5 -
$A7 -
$A8 -
$A9 -
$AB -
$AC - cut
$AD - enter building
$AE - switch Pokemon
$B0 - throw Poke ball
$B2 - unknown jingle
$B4 - bump into wall
$B5 - exit from building
$B6 - unknown jingle
$B8 - Poke Flute
$B9 - lift stops
$BA - Pallet Town
$BD - Pokemon Center
$C0 - Pokemon Gym
$C3 - Saffron City
$C7 - Cerulean City
$CA - Celadon City
$CD - Cinnabar Island
$D0 - Vermillion City
$D4 - Lavender Town
$D8 - St. Anne
$DB - follow Prof. Oak
$DE - rival pre-battle
$E1 - dude from Pewter City
$E5 - evolution
$E8 - healing complete
$EB - Route 1
$EF - Route 24
$F3 - Route 4
$F7 - Route 11
$FB - Victory Road
$FF - static

Anything between two complete soundtracks are single channels, e.g. $F4 plays one of the channels of Route 4. This also shows that Route 4 music has 4 channels; Cinnabar Island music only has 3 channels etc.

Date: 2012-12-17 23:36:32
Cool I see that you've documented some sound effects as well great work. :) However while setting the value to $FF I simply got silence. (Well besides the sound effects. :P) Maybe I didn't keep the cheat on long enough. :V

Date: 2012-12-18 11:26:22
Alright, I'm trying to use this code…

Wild Pokemon Encounter Mod (GSAttack)
01??87D8

I've tried changing ?? to various hex values, but I encounter 'M every time.  How can I encounter glitches besides 'M with this code?

Date: 2012-12-18 11:32:59
Try this code instead:
01??D8CF
Of course change the ?? to whatever Pokemon you're trying to encounter. :)

Date: 2012-12-18 12:54:07

Try this code instead:
01??D8CF
Of course change the ?? to whatever Pokemon you're trying to encounter. :)

That works! Thank you for that.

Apparently the code list hasn't been checked for accuracy…

Date: 2012-12-18 12:58:51
Yeah I've noticed that back in 2006 when I first joined. I think the code list is being merged with the more accurate one on the wiki right now. Should probably note all the ones that don't work so we don't end up adding them to that list. :V And you're welcome. :) (Yeah i'll go do that right now, I know the majority of the music ones don't work. :P)

Date: 2012-12-19 18:29:18
Is there any way to get Pokemon to appear on their own using that code? All my encounters have been with a Jr. Trainer with a party full of whatever glitch Pokemon I choose.

I tried to get [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ksr0y.png[/img] (hex FD) with this code, and a completely glitched-up trainer appeared, my trainer backsprite became scrambled, and the game crashed. That ain't normal.