Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

Object Event vs. ! - Page 1

Object Event vs. !

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2013-01-01 14:06:46
I noticed how similar RBY's "!" message and GSC's "Object event." message are.  They're both dialogue boxes assigned to NPCs who don't have any dialogue assigned to them (if that makes any sense).

Presumably, "!" prevents the game from crashing and is a placeholder expressly for that purpose.  But does "Object event." serve the same purpose? Does it go any deeper than that?

Re: Object Event vs. !

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2013-01-01 15:26:11
"Object Event" occurs when the player attempts to speak to a character who cannot normally be spoken to, such as Lance in the Hall of Fame room. It's purpose is unknown, but it's speculated that it's purpose is to prevent the game from freezing if such a character is spoken to.

http://glitchcity.info/wiki/index.php/Object_event.

Re: Object Event vs. !

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2013-01-01 15:31:39
In other words, it's basically identical to that of "!" in the Gen. 1 games. However I suppose the programmers decided to be more creative with this error handler in gen 2 than in Gen one or they simply got lazy with Gen 1. :V (I don't blame them though, usually when I program I tend to use smaller labels… xD)