Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

"Liquid glitching" - Page 1

"Liquid glitching"

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2013-05-03 15:02:02
Down through the years, I've sometimes heard tales of people who have done crazy things to their Pokemon cartridges, such as ruining the insides of the cartridge with washing soap, soft drinks and tap water, in order to achieve stupid glitchy effects on the game.

I've always been fascinated by this idea, but I've always treasured my own cartridges far too much to attempt anything of the sort on my own possessions. However, I'm sure that if I were to look, I could find a ton of people at school with old cartridges that they wouldn't mind disposing of for minimal sums of money.  :D

~~~

I have some questions about this, though:

-Is this even possible? Wouldn't any liquids that are damaging to cartridges be equally damaging to the console once the two are in contact?

-If it is true that the procedure involves real liquids, what is the best kind to use? Which stands the least chance of ruining the game entirely/rendering it unplayable?

-Has anyone tried this before? I've searched the internet for information on this topic, but I must not know what this trick is called or else what I've heard from others is totally false.

Re: "Liquid glitching"

Posted by: SuperGlitchy
Date: 2013-05-03 16:22:09
While I've never heard of people putting liquid in their games, I have read if you unscrew the game and put dust in it something might happen. (In the person's case: ??????? in crystal.)

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2013-05-04 07:44:32

Down through the years, I've sometimes heard tales of people who have done crazy things to their Pokemon cartridges, such as ruining the insides of the cartridge with washing soap, soft drinks and tap water, in order to achieve stupid glitchy effects on the game.

I've always been fascinated by this idea, but I've always treasured my own cartridges far too much to attempt anything of the sort on my own possessions. However, I'm sure that if I were to look, I could find a ton of people at school with old cartridges that they wouldn't mind disposing of for minimal sums of money.  :D

~~~

I have some questions about this, though:

-Is this even possible? Wouldn't any liquids that are damaging to cartridges be equally damaging to the console once the two are in contact?

-If it is true that the procedure involves real liquids, what is the best kind to use? Which stands the least chance of ruining the game entirely/rendering it unplayable?

-Has anyone tried this before? I've searched the internet for information on this topic, but I must not know what this trick is called or else what I've heard from others is totally false.

Okay, I may not know about the software glitching, but I can tell you right off the bat that it is a bad idea to put liquid in your cartridges. Most liquids conduct electricity, which means you will most likely redirect the current and fry the battery or a capacitor. Not only that, but you can corrode the metal, ruining any possible chance of keeping the cartridge working. A gameboy game can last as long as an NES game as long as you know how to replace the internal batteries.

Basically the glitches that you are talking about are caused by bad connections made by the new connections on the current.
If you want electronics to make weird, glitchy, displays in sound and video, learn how to circuit bend. It's very easy to get started, and very easy to get hooked on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY8I4kvkUzM

I hope that explains some of your questions.

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2013-05-12 18:12:57
Glitches caused by liquids would have the same effects as glitches caused by dirty cartridge contacts or a leaking battery (the only two naturally-occurring physical cartridge defects, as far as I'm aware).

Any glitches would be caused by rusty metal parts or, as Mr. Japanese Name said, corroded contacts. Damage to semiconductors would be the worst effect of liquid damage. Either way, it's a bad idea unless the cartridge and the Game Boy unit are completely junky.

Personally, if I had a cartridge and GB to try it out with, I'd leave the game in bleach or laundry detergent for a while, then rinse it off. Those two solutions do a great job of messing up the integrity of metal.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2013-05-13 00:43:38
PSA: Mr Japanese Name is the Glitcher Formerly Known as Tachi.