Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

Any interest in a continuation of GlitchBattle? - Page 1

Any interest in a continuation of GlitchBattle?

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2013-08-25 07:02:06
Back in 2006/2007, I was developing a program called GlitchBattle that basically allowed one to battle with R/B/Y glitch pokemon. If you're familiar with NetBattle, it was kind of like that. The project became dormant in 2008 (the archives are still somewhere on this forum).

The basic gist of this was:
* A Generation 1 faithful battle simulator (so using Gen 1 sprites and mechanics)
* Glitch Pokemon and moves from Red/Blue/Yellow included
* Optional mode to play over IRC using a built in IRC client. The particular implementation would probably have entailed using client-specific CTCP commands.

As it stands now GlitchBattle in its current state is unusable, and the code is unworkable, so this will probably be a from-scratch rewrite.

The reason I'm asking is because I had a dream once where people started using it again and asked me to pick up the project.

Re: Any interest in a continuation of GlitchBattle?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-08-25 12:01:01
Yes, I'd like to see GlitchBattle again, only if you want to pick it up again, though. It sounds like a lot of effort.

I can't remember too much about it but if I remember rightly GlitchBattle focused on single player battles? I'd like to see playing online with other people be possible.

In theory, you could use TGB Dual's netplay feature to link to another IP Address instead, but the downside of that is that you may get communication errors when linking with other people from too far away, like what happened here. Also, there are Pokémon that freeze the game on the opponent's side on certain versions that could be made not to freeze the game on GlitchBattle (although maybe we should make a list of Pokémon that do and put an asterisk next to them).

A lot of glitch Pokémon have new 'unique' moves thanks to the Johto guard glitch. We should consult echinodermata's evolution list for evolution only moves, as well.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2013-08-25 17:20:39
I'm not old enough to have played GlitchBattle, but it sounds like it would be brilliant if you're up to it!

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-08-25 18:30:29
That's a great idea. Can you make super glitch moves available without the weird move name effects?

Posted by: Missingnoguy55
Date: 2013-08-25 23:10:37
I'd love to see this back. I'd also like to contribute any way I can.

I don't remember since it was so long ago, but wasn't it coded in Java before it went dormant?

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2013-08-25 23:24:21
I'd like to see this back, but I'd have to redo the TM/HM tables on R/B/Y as I have some mistakes in making them (not too many but if we're making a battlesim again that's accurate I'd need to correct them.)

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2013-08-26 03:35:32
I'm mildly interested. While I don't see Gen 1 mechanics as being anywhere near balanced, adding glitches to it might shake things up a bit. It'd be interesting to see if we can develop some sort of metagame around it anyway.

Posted by: Sanqui
Date: 2013-08-27 05:08:37
Pokémon Showdown already supports Gen 1 somewhat faithfully:
https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown/tree/master/mods/gen1#gen-1-the-beginning
You'd be better off contributing to the codebase and forking to add glitch pokémon and moves, I think.