Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

Vanilla GlitchDex? - Page 1

Vanilla GlitchDex?

Posted by: everyusernameistaken
Date: 2014-05-25 22:26:47
[TL;DR] The main purpose of this is to complete my Vanilla GlitchDex, which is defined as all glitch Pokemon that are obtainable without the use of a GameShark or other cheating device (i.e. through cloning). Please don't post anything that uses one.

Today I found my DS Lite, which was pretty exciting for me, considering I haven't been able to play any Pokemon games for a long time, thanks to my broken GameBoy.

Anyways, I broke out my old copy of Sapphire, and managed to find my copy of Crystal as well. I'm still looking for Blue/Red. Found Blue! I borrowed my friends GameBoy as well, so I can use it authentically.

Since I beat each game, I reset them to have another go. A few minutes into each, I realized there wasn't much else to do. So I decided to start up the GlitchDex I never got to.

Obtaining glitch Pokemon isn't hard, especially with a GameShark (which, to mention, I do not have). However, as I said before, I reset all of my games, which was a terrible idea. So now I can't perform the Mew glitch without going through the entire story again.

So, the point of this is, what glitch Pokemon are out there (in Sapphire, Crystal, or Blue only, since they're all I have) that:

a. Do not require a GameShark or other cheating device
b. Do not utilize the Mew Glitch (until I get to that point, at least)
c. Hopefully don't require trading (only because I have no one to do it with, until I find my old GB)
d. Won't critically crash the game (I can also perform on an emulator for all three games if needed; just don't want to love everything)

So, uhm, I don't think any glitch Pokemon exist under these guidelines, but, I'm giving it a shot. Lemme know what you guys come up with.

Thanks!

Re: Vanilla GlitchDex?

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2014-05-25 22:31:57

[TL;DR] The main purpose of this is to complete my Vanilla GlitchDex, which is defined as all glitch Pokemon that are obtainable without the use of a GameShark or other cheating device (i.e. through cloning). Please don't post anything that uses one.

Today I found my DS Lite, which was pretty exciting for me, considering I haven't been able to play any Pokemon games for a long time, thanks to my broken GameBoy.

Anyways, I broke out my old copy of Sapphire, and managed to find my copy of Crystal as well. I'm still looking for Blue/Red. Found Blue! I borrowed my friends GameBoy as well, so I can use it authentically.

Since I beat each game, I reset them to have another go. A few minutes into each, I realized there wasn't much else to do. So I decided to start up the GlitchDex I never got to.

Obtaining glitch Pokemon isn't hard, especially with a GameShark (which, to mention, I do not have). However, as I said before, I reset all of my games, which was a terrible idea. So now I can't perform the Mew glitch without going through the entire story again.

So, the point of this is, what glitch Pokemon are out there (in Sapphire, Crystal, or Blue only, since they're all I have) that:

a. Do not require a GameShark or other cheating device
b. Do not utilize the Mew Glitch (until I get to that point, at least)
c. Hopefully don't require trading (only because I have no one to do it with, until I find my old GB)
d. Won't critically crash the game (I can also perform on an emulator for all three games if needed; just don't want to love everything)

So, uhm, I don't think any glitch Pokemon exist under these guidelines, but, I'm giving it a shot. Lemme know what you guys come up with.

Thanks!

._. ummmm i think we have a glitch dex http://glitchcity.info/wiki/index.php?title=GlitchDex

by the way nice username. lol.

Date: 2014-05-25 22:42:59

._. ummmm i think we have a glitch dex http://glitchcity.info/wiki/index.php?title=GlitchDex

by the way nice username. lol.

Yeah I know, but I want to know which of those Pokemon can be obtained using the guidelines I listed. Perhaps the title wasn't that good.

P.S. Thanks, I was running out of ideas, lol.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2014-05-26 01:44:22
The Mew glitch is really early in the game. It can be accessed before Brock.

The item 8F can be used to get all 256 Pokemon in the game, and the item can be obtained through Items Underflow Glitch less than one hour after you start a new game.

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-05-26 16:19:59
Would 8F count as a Gameshark because of arbitrary code?

It doesn't matter though, as you can also get glitch Pokémon with the Cooltrainer move (at least in Red/Blue) and the randomness of glitch cities (including the ones you can get using Item Underflow).

I guess you could get Pokémon using the Remaining HP Glitch too, but I really don't understand it.

Date: 2014-05-26 17:40:50

The Mew glitch is really early in the game. It can be accessed before Brock.

The item 8F can be used to get all 256 Pokemon in the game, and the item can be obtained through Items Underflow Glitch less than one hour after you start a new game.

Perhaps I'm thinking of a different Mew Glitch. I thought you had to fly to to Cinnabar Island? Excuse me if I'm off, I really never got into Glitches.

Also, what exactly is "Item 8F"? How does it allow me to catch glitch Pokemon?

Thanks in advance!

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-05-26 18:21:48

Perhaps I'm thinking of a different Mew Glitch. I thought you had to fly to to Cinnabar Island? Excuse me if I'm off, I really never got into Glitches.

In Pokémon Yellow, you need to go to Cinnabar because ditto appears there.  But in red/blue, you can do it earlier, near Fuchsia city. 

Also, what exactly is "Item 8F"? How does it allow me to catch glitch Pokemon?

Thanks in advance!

8F is an interesting item in red and blue that lets you execute arbitrary code.  Watch these three videos for some examples and how to get it.  There's an equivalent in yellow, named ws m.

I'm not too good with them, but there's some scripts and a ton more info in this thread.

Date: 2014-05-31 19:23:12
I thought you were able to do it before Brock, but apparently need go reach Fuchsia City? I'm confused.

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-05-31 21:43:38
Pokechu and Camper are thinking about a "Ditto Trainer-Fly", where you have a Ditto copy the special value of your Pokémon's [special value], to manipulate the encounter you want.

The Trainer Fly you are thinking about is in Viridian Forest in Yellow, where there is a Long Range Trainer in the forest to perform the Trainer-Fly Glitch using an escape rope. In Red/Blue, it's much more luck based, requiring you to get an encounter on a Tile where a trainer can spot you, with this being about the last Bug Catcher in the forest.

(I need to reword this, perhaps someone can explain this better)

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-05-31 23:13:46

I thought you were able to do it before Brock, but apparently need go reach Fuchsia City? I'm confused.

You can preform a subset of the glitch before brock (There's a long-range trainer in viridian which you can use with an escape rope), but you need to reach Fuchsia to access a ditto which lets you get a larger and more controllable range of Pokémon.