Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

List of Japan only tricks - Page 1

List of Japan only tricks

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-06-06 07:55:00
I thought it would be a good idea to list the Japanese version Pokémon glitches that were removed in the English versions. Know any more?

Edit: Oops, I didn't include Generation III and later glitches.

Red & Green only:

*Opening the Pokémon menu with no Pokémon via a Potion.
*Select button glitch within Pokémon battle (v1.0 only).
*Saffron Gym glitch (when you lose to Sabrina you get the badge when you return).
*Surf from a cliff.
*Uncertain: Do glitches like those caused by viewing type 20h occur in other versions?
*Uncertain: Is there an item effect in other versions like v1.0's Gold Badge that causes the Yami Shop glitch?

Red, Green and Blue:

*Select button glitch (still works when you use select outside of battle).
*Removing objects with the Card Key.
*Old man full party and box glitch (he can't catch the Weedle because your box is full).
*Swapping lift options.
*Seafoam Islands text box glitches.
*Magikarp salesman glitch.

Pocket Monsters Pikachu:

*Uncertain: Does the glitch caused by viewing FF's status happen in other versions?

Small list of select button glitches:

*Partial switch glitch (swapping valid party members within battle), v1.0 of Red/Green only.
*Dokokashira door glitch.
*Fossil conversion glitch.
*Alternative walk through walls glitch.
*Warp by Nidoran.
*Get a Yami Shop glitch item (14th cursor position with 2nd).
*Second type glitch (e.g. Water Pokémon into Mew).
*Make your own items glitch.
*Skip to level 100.
*Number of items = defense exp byte 2 (D141): 9th cursor position with 1st.
*Get any move (swap data in 9th cursor position with any move in battle. Move depends on current exp byte 3.)

Japanese Pokémon Gold/Silver:

*Bug-Catching Contest data copy glitch (v1.0.)
:SatoMew2 said it doesn't work in rev A, but I haven't tested it in both versions yet.

Re: List of Japan only tricks

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-09-04 23:32:07
Needs to be updated. Dokokashira and Select glitches now ARE DOABLE overseas.
<Insert mandatory joke about Dokokashira and newly-international glitches here>

Posted by: ravioli
Date: 2016-09-05 21:44:21

Needs to be updated. Dokokashira and Select glitches now ARE DOABLE overseas.
<Insert mandatory joke about Dokokashira and newly-international glitches here>

They are not executed in the same way. I'd still leave Dokokashira up.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-09-06 00:46:59
On international versions, the "Dokokashira" does not do the "wrong warping" part, so the name becomes kinda inappropriate.

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-09-06 07:12:06

On international versions, the "Dokokashira" does not do the "wrong warping" part, so the name becomes kinda inappropriate.
So… "poison map manipulation"? It kinda loses its excitement with that name…

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-09-06 10:05:47
Here's some:
Ruby\Sapphire

Acro Bike glitches
Emerald:

Dive glitch
Crystal:

PokéCom Center SRAM glitch

Posted by: Jchu
Date: 2017-05-22 16:22:03
…That one old man glitch interests me greatly.

I wonder if it effect's your encounter with MissingNo. and the other glitches on cinnabar at all? I may…wanna look for a japanese r/b/g/y pokemon rom to learn such o.o;

Date: 2017-05-23 08:43:36

I wonder if it effect's your encounter with MissingNo. and the other glitches on cinnabar at all? I may…wanna look for a japanese r/b/g/y pokemon rom to learn such o.o;

The old man trick for encountering Pokémon on the coast doesn't work in Japanese Red/Green/Blue/Yellow sadly.

Posted by: Jchu
Date: 2017-05-23 11:40:45

The old man trick for encountering Pokémon on the coast doesn't work in Japanese Red/Green/Blue/Yellow sadly.

…..
now thats something VERY neat to know o.o;; thank you very much for informing me.

Date: 2017-05-23 15:59:19
You're welcome ^^

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-05-23 16:05:50
The Old Man Glitch comes from the localization devs changing which tile determines random encounters but failing to apply the change to which tile determines the encounter type.

Still, seeing what masses of bugs they patched (the JP versions were a bunch of bugs held together by some non-lethal ones plus a few non-glitchy bytes :P), I can forgive them for that.
(For example, they had to re-write the entire text engine just so they could fit the localized strings. GG, Game Freak.)

Posted by: RETIRE
Date: 2018-06-04 09:13:45
Gen 4 diamond/pearl:
Surf glitch
Saving in mystery zones

I don't know what this is exactly, but apparently it's possible to make elevators in pokecenters have the *upleft* animation instead of downright, which pushes you into the void.