Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

What is your favourite generation for glitching? - Page 1

What is your favourite generation for glitching?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-07-29 17:24:03
I thought this would be a cool question to ask.

Personally, my favourite generation for glitching is Generation I.

There is so much you can do there, and out of all generations, it has the most amount of glitches I'm familiar with. I also like how unstable the effects of glitching can be there, compared to say Generation V. Plus the select glitch in Red, Green and Japanese Blue opens up lots of things you can do without cheating, same can be said for Generation I's arbitrary code execution items.

My second favourite is Generation IV. Although I'm not too familiar with the glitches there, the idea that you can do void exploring appeals to me, and Diamond, Pearl, Platinum are among my favourite Pokémon games. They have great music.

My third favourite is Generation III. Previously, this spot would have been for Generation II, but the Pomeg glitch, the recently discovered box corruption glitch, and the obscure/Japanese only Generation III glitches including the land surfing glitch, the Acro Bike instability glitch and the Mail and Trick glitch make this game fun to mess around with.

Re: What is your favourite generation for glitching?

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2014-07-29 19:42:01
Definitely Generation I. Breaking the Elite Four down to tears with my army of incomprehensible eldritch abominations is a blast.

Acro Bike instability glitch

Haven't heard of that one.

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2014-07-29 21:28:59
I grew up with Gen III - Sapphire was my first ever video game. Even now, I prefer the glitches of that generation to those in the original games. I'm just so much more well acquainted with the games, and I've discovered more about Gen III glitch-wise than any other generation.

Besides that, the more realistic graphics and smoother feel of the games makes their slip-ups more vivid and pronounced, in my opinion.

Posted by: Kraust
Date: 2014-07-29 21:39:37
I'm probably going to be the only one in this thread to say it but Gen IV.

This is primarily due to what little research I did into the Rage Glitch (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Rage_glitch). Hell I'm not actually sure if the information on Bulbapedia is even accurate anymore because so few people know about the glitch. It was really cool, but I don't own a Gen V game so It wasn't possible to see if I could bring my glitched Dittos into Gen VI.

Posted by: voltage
Date: 2014-07-30 03:28:05

I grew up with Gen III - Sapphire was my first ever video game. Even now, I prefer the glitches of that generation to those in the original games. I'm just so much more well acquainted with the games, and I've discovered more about Gen III glitch-wise than any other generation.

Besides that, the more realistic graphics and smoother feel of the games makes their slip-ups more vivid and pronounced, in my opinion.

I agree with this for basically the same reasons.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2014-07-30 03:32:14
I voted for Gen I because while there are some cool glitches in the newer ones (particularly the gens I prefer to play), I'm stupid and so I don't know how to do them.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2014-07-30 08:53:30
Gen 1 of course, more specifically Red/Blue. These are the only games you can beat the gyms in reverse order without cheats. Not to mention showing random tiles as characters.

Posted by: Sanqui
Date: 2014-07-30 13:02:27
Honestly, I'd say gen 1 has just the right variety of interesting non-breaking glitches which can be studied, understood, and abused, without actually breaking the game.  For example, with a well defined "no arbitrary execution" rule, a "Catch 'em all" 151 speedrun shows off the great variety of useful glitches in Pokémon Red/Blue without diverging into monotony.  Trainer fly, experience underflow, Missingno. item duplication, item underflow, Old man exploit, Cooltrainer, text pointer manipulation..  You name it and it's a memorable, non-game-breaking exploit with interesting properties.  Many other quirks and mechanics of gen 1 are also impressively in-depth, such as "dsum manipulation", which lets you RNG manipulate to encounter the wild Pokémon you want, quickly.

Understandably, later generations, being more solid in their coding, mostly lack these interesting properties.  I can pretty much only note one notable glitch per later generations:
* Gen 2 - Coin Case glitch
* Gen 3 - Pomeg glitch
* Gen 4 - Tweaking
These three glitches lead into other interesting exploits, which are fun to study and play with, but they're alone.
I can't even think of any particularly useful or interesting glitch in gen 5, let alone gen 6.
For these reasons, Gen 1 is, and will probably stay, the premier glitching generation.  (that sounds so stupid…)

Date: 2014-07-31 05:18:06
This thread is more popular than I thought it would be. Thanks guys.  :)

Good post Sanqui. Yeah, you can make use of a great variety of tricks in R/B/Y for speedrunning, while routing for other generations may have to be a more linear process.

text pointer manipulation..

Just curious. Has this been used in a way to save time? The closest thing that comes to my mind is via save corruption, where the level script pointer may be changed in Red's room to activate the Hall of Fame script.

I'm probably going to be the only one in this thread to say it but Gen IV.

This is primarily due to what little research I did into the Rage Glitch (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Rage_glitch). Hell I'm not actually sure if the information on Bulbapedia is even accurate anymore because so few people know about the glitch. It was really cool, but I don't own a Gen V game so It wasn't possible to see if I could bring my glitched Dittos into Gen VI.

Bulbapedia didn't mention something important:

You have to use a move other than Rage on the same, or a later turn that the 'rage is building' message appears to get the moves to change. You can also use a battle item on the same turn.

Also, once the moves change you are free to have the Pokémon faint or switch.

Definitely Generation I. Breaking the Elite Four down to tears with my army of incomprehensible eldritch abominations is a blast.

Acro Bike instability glitch

Haven't heard of that one.

See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVM12bkRXdE

There is more to it than the freeze, as can be seen here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UWSDOYcx1k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z401zFtxNs

Posted by: Sanqui
Date: 2014-07-31 06:25:59

Just curious. Has this been used in a way to save time? The closest thing that comes to my mind is via save corruption, where the level script pointer may be changed in Red's room to activate the Hall of Fame script.

Yes, actually.  MrWint's very recent 151 TAS has introduced it, and uses it to tweak trainers and items on the map into Pokémon.  It has been implemented into the current 151 RTA speedrun route already, too.

Date: 2014-07-31 07:35:50

Yes, actually.  MrWint's very recent 151 TAS has introduced it, and uses it to tweak trainers and items on the map into Pokémon.  It has been implemented into the current 151 RTA speedrun route already, too.

Oh, that's very recent indeed. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to watch it.

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2014-07-31 08:23:27
Gen 1 for sure, since that's what got me into "glitching" and this forum in the first place. :P

Posted by: Addri Trainer
Date: 2014-07-31 16:58:26
My favourite gen forma glitching is The first generation, RBY. I Love this gen, personally. Is My favourite gen without speak glitches.  :D

Posted by: hpoké_coloradohugge
Date: 2014-07-31 17:23:23
Totally Gen 1,

I just love to mess around with Mew/ditto glitch (whatev- you wanna call it) and Super Glitch. One thing I love about Gen1 is also that theres so many different foreign versions of it that all give different results in many glitches.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2014-08-01 21:11:11
Gen 1 for me, but Gen 4 is close because of all the fun we had VEing.