Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

Aren't carts great? - Page 1

Aren't carts great?

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-04-17 11:01:06
I've got a dying Silver cart. It screws up the intro (All intro sprites are the same square with lines inside), items morph, pokemon tend to become Lv 129 Squirtles that know 4x Splash randomly, and when any pokemon goes over Lv 87, all its stats are set to 0. (0/0 hp, 0 atk, etc.) This is driving me FUCKING INSANE. Halp?

Re: Aren't carts great?

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-04-17 11:08:05
Omg, your cartridge must have been through a lot  :P

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2016-04-17 11:20:48
you should dump it, it sounds very interesting

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-04-17 14:45:04

i'm still interested in dumping my dead red cart that doesn't display textboxes right (gets the text from an incorrect ptr i think).

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2016-04-21 20:11:47
It doesn't sound like a bad connection with the pins, at that point it's pretty much unfixable/not worth trying to fix.

Posted by: kaikun97
Date: 2016-05-01 03:47:34

It doesn't sound like a bad connection with the pins, at that point it's pretty much unfixable/not worth trying to fix.

I would say this could be happening to the carts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_degradation

But Mask ROM has a really long life which is usually the type of ROM chip the game on GB and GBC cartridges are stored on.

Although saying that, there are other points of failure on a cartridge board anyway.

I've got a dying Silver cart. It screws up the intro (All intro sprites are the same square with lines inside), items morph, pokemon tend to become Lv 129 Squirtles that know 4x Splash randomly, and when any pokemon goes over Lv 87, all its stats are set to 0. (0/0 hp, 0 atk, etc.) This is driving me FUCKING INSANE. Halp?

i'm still interested in dumping my dead red cart that doesn't display textboxes right (gets the text from an incorrect ptr i think).

Relating to this, I once had a 38 games in 1 GBC game multicart and it had a badly dumped version of Pokemon Yellow on it that when you saved by changing boxes on the PC, all the boxes would then be filled up with glitched up pokemon. Pokemon Blue and Red were also on the cartridge but they did not have that issue (Neither did the other 35 games on the cartridge, which weren't repeats, rare for a multicart  :P )

Date: 2016-05-23 23:25:37
I actually do not know how to dump a cart and cannot afford equipment of any kind. Sorry guys >:C

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2016-05-24 23:53:17
If ever you have $45, there's a device called the joey-joebags that can dump your GB/GBC/GBA carts, savefiles and all.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-05-25 06:56:36

If ever you have $45, there's a device called the joey-joebags that can dump your GB/GBC/GBA carts, savefiles and all.

I didn't know about the existence of this dumper! Thanks, I might just have to order one at some point, if only to dump my dead Red cart.

Date: 2016-06-02 18:35:17

Thanks, but $45 is something I will probably never have spare…  :P

Date: 2016-06-07 19:50:21
Mow lawns. Wash cars. Beg a friend who has $45. :P

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2016-06-08 06:58:32

Mow lawns. Wash cars. Beg a friend who has $45. :P

this.

Hell, git gud at games and make a money match with somebody you know you can't lose to. I've made decent sums of money from just knocking people's ego down to level in sm4sh.

steal

Or even better, do what i primarily do and get job.

Date: 2016-06-09 12:05:33
In that vein, hustle pool. Then skip town.