Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

Getting into glitching - Page 1

Getting into glitching

Posted by: ShySkream
Date: 2016-06-22 16:36:55
I find it funny how I just joined and this is the most recent discussion :P

I was surprised at how active this place was, considering how old most glitches are.  I'm fairly interested in hex codes and computer architecture and I've done a few glitches on my Yellow cartridge, so I decided to check out some sources.  My goal is to learn enough to be able to start finding my own glitches or maximizing some already discovered.  It also helps that I don't mind editing wikis :)

Anyone here have a similar interest in memory manipulation and such?  any suggestions on things I should check out?

Re: Getting into glitching

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-06-22 17:06:30
If you're into long, drawn-out processes of testing things with different variables (location, screen data, etc.), you might try the *Dex area or maybe my Yellow Predefined Functions List and see what can be contributed there.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-06-22 17:11:10
Welcome to the forums ShySkream!

A good resource for playing around with glitches is the Pokémon Red RAM map or the Pokémon GameShark codes archive. Here you can find the locations of memory addresses for memory viewer (if you're using the GameShark codes archive; the address is the last four digits of the code in reverse endianness e.g. 01xx59D0 becomes D059), and look up the behaviour of undefined things, such as Pokémon beyond 190 (Victreebel; if you modify D164 [Pokémon 1 species byte 1] in Red/Blue), items beyond Max Elixer (83; if you modify D31E [item 1] and moves beyond Struggle (if you modify D173 [Pokémon 1 move 1]). In Pokémon Yellow, many of the RAM addresses are the same as the Pokémon Red RAM address minus 1.

If you need to look up which value corresponds with which Pokémon, item or move; then we have a table for this called The Big HEX List.

Using the RAM map makes setting up for existing glitches relatively easy even if you do not have a save file. On my Google Sites website, I've also prepared completed save files ideal for glitching purposes.

If you want to edit a save from Generation III, it is sometimes harder but conveniently you can use a save file editor to do this known as A-Save.

I have videos explaining many glitches on my channel ChickasaurusGL you can use for studying, and TheZZAZZGlitch, Crystal_, MissingnoXpert, and Metarkrai M are examples of some of the other large channels specializing in glitching.

Hope this helps! ^_^

If you're into long, drawn-out processes of testing things with different variables (location, screen data, etc.), you might try the *Dex area or maybe my Yellow Predefined Functions List and see what can be contributed there.

Yeah, when you work out how to change a "thing", you are often able to find many "glitch things" (since a byte can hold up to 256 values; if the thing occupies two bytes there may be a maximum of 65536 values), the main thing being Pokémon, items, etc. Often the effects are due to extrapolation; such as the pointer for the B2F item being taken from the end of the item pointer list and glitch things which execute code like glitch contacts can have very interesting effects.

Posted by: ShySkream
Date: 2016-06-22 17:58:38
Oh golly, I sure derailed this thread.

Thanks for the info!

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-06-22 20:02:37

Oh golly, I sure derailed this thread.

Thanks for the info!

You're welcome! I've split this segment of the thread into its own thread, "getting into glitching".

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-06-23 03:26:39
Well then, my recent post in the previous topic should also be moved. I guess I submitted after you moved, sorry ><