Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

are there glitch hunting official sources? - Page 1

are there glitch hunting official sources?

Posted by: rinlingyo2016
Date: 2016-08-19 08:57:41
Hello everyone! A friend and I are working on a Red/Blue Glitch Pokemon panel that we plan to host at a local anime convention.

I would like to ask: have we ever (as far as we've known) had a developer who works for (or used to work for) Nintendo/Game Freak who has ever given us insight behind-the-scenes into Pokemon glitches? It seems like glitch hunting is primarily fans experimenting, discovering, and theorizing, so I was wondering if there were any official sources other than Nintendo's official statement about Missingno on their troubleshooting website http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/gameboy/trouble_specificgame.jsp#missingno

Thanks for your input!

Re: are there glitch hunting official sources?

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-08-19 09:06:24
Nintendo's full of shit. Anything they say will probably be false and designed to ward you away from said glitch, like they did with MissingNO. They later said the statement about MissingNO. was so people would not seek it out and take advantage of the mistakes they made.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-08-19 09:41:19
Nintendo communicated in two occasions about the series' glitches.

- First, to say that the 'Fight Safari Zone Pokémon glitch' (hence talking about the Old Man Glitch; technically being the same glitch so it's not incorrect, but imprecise) could cause the apparition of the 'MissingNo Pokémon' (sic) which could 'scramble your graphics' (which is true) an effect that 'could be fixed by releasing it' (which is false) but if not will require 'resetting the game' (which is absolutely stupid). It is suspected that this warning was an attempt at preventing players to perform glitches by threatening them with save destruction.

- Then, to acknowledge the existence of the japanese-only 'surf glitch' and 'broken elevator glitch' in Gen IV, and to propose a fix. As far as I know, they never mentioned the fact that the first of these two glitches allows the player to catch Shaymin and Darkrai, similarly to the more recent Tweaking Trick.

Outside from these occasions, Nintendo and Game Freak seem to totally ignore glitchology, and never communicate nor answer about this. They didn't even fixed anything in VC ports.

Posted by: Háčky
Date: 2016-08-19 11:37:27
They also acknowledged and fixed the Berry glitch in Ruby and Sapphire, and the Lumiose City save glitch in X and Y.

Date: 2016-08-19 11:55:39
Thanks for your comments! I can see Nintendo as a company discouraging/ignoring glitches. What about individuals, though? I can imagine, for example, a programmer who used to work for Nintendo joining the glitching community, especially because he would have insight into how the game was made. Do we know if we've ever had an insider join in glitch hunting?

Posted by: ravioli
Date: 2016-08-19 12:27:09

Thanks for your comments! I can see Nintendo as a company discouraging/ignoring glitches. What about individuals, though? I can imagine, for example, a programmer who used to work for Nintendo joining the glitching community, especially because he would have insight into how the game was made. Do we know if we've ever had an insider join in glitch hunting?

No. But some more neat information:

When Shigeru Miyamoto was confronted by a fan saying that there were 190 original Pokemon planned, ((by seeing there were 190 spots in the index list)), he lit up and seemed excited. So it seems that some of the original game dev's might encourage this kind of behaviour now that the meta for those games are long gone and the age of Gen 1-5 are gone.

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-08-19 13:34:04

It is suspected that this warning was an attempt at preventing players to perform glitches by threatening them with save destruction.

Like I said, Nintendo's full of shit.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-08-20 08:33:09

They also acknowledged and fixed the Berry glitch in Ruby and Sapphire, and the Lumiose City save glitch in X and Y.

Yep, I forgot about those. I was more thinking of 'exploitable' glitches :P

No. But some more neat information:

When Shigeru Miyamoto was confronted by a fan saying that there were 190 original Pokemon planned, ((by seeing there were 190 spots in the index list)), he lit up and seemed excited. So it seems that some of the original game dev's might encourage this kind of behaviour now that the meta for those games are long gone and the age of Gen 1-5 are gone.

I wasn't aware of the excitement thing but now that you mention it, I remember that someone acknowledge the fact that 190 Pokémon were planned in the beginning. It might be the same story :)

Date: 2016-08-20 19:14:36
I love the story about the 190 Pokemon! (I first read about it on Smogon http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/there-were-190-pok%C3%A9mon.78267/) If there are no insiders that participate in the glitch community, I suppose interviews like these (assuming we can get past the language barrier) are the next best thing.