Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

Patching a Pokemon game with 2 ROM hacks! - Page 1

Patching a Pokemon game with 2 ROM hacks!

Posted by: MarcinTVP8
Date: 2017-01-07 16:34:06
I somehow managed to patch some Pokemon games with 2 ROM Hacks. The results are interesting. Some games won't boot up at all, and some games are partially unplayable.

In the attachments are the games with 2 ROM hacks patched in and tested to run.

Notes:

(All attachments) You may need the walk through walls gameshark codes to advance in the game.
(2nd attachment) You will need the walk through walls gameshark code to progress through the intro.

Edit by Torchickens: Removed attachments in interest of copyright.

Re: Patching a Pokemon game with 2 ROM hacks!

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-01-07 16:36:19
Cool!  :) What method did you use to 'patch' them?

Posted by: MarcinTVP8
Date: 2017-01-07 16:37:19
Using Lunar IPS to patch with IPS patches

Date: 2017-01-07 16:53:14
I see, nice.

Date: 2017-01-08 10:48:28
I played around with some of the hacks and noticed if you set a bootrom on BGB none of the games want to boot up at all past the Game Boy Nintendo screen, which may mean that these wouldn't work on a real Game Boy.

I like otherwise how the games are glitched but still load. It's also the first time I've heard of Pokémon Blue DX. It looks like a very well made hack and I like how you can play as a character who looks like Green.

Edit: I'm afraid because it's illegal to host copyrighted ROMs I've decided to remove your links (and if anybody has the ROMs they can patch it). Though many of us likely use emulators I don't want to promote the distribution of ROMs.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2017-01-08 11:32:18
Torchickens: mind providing ips patches of those roms from whatever the base roms were?

Date: 2017-01-08 15:18:59

Torchickens: mind providing ips patches of those roms from whatever the base roms were?

OK sure, IPS files for Red (MD5 3d45c1ee9abd5738df46d2bdda8b57dc) (which seemed to be the best way) should be in the attachments below.