Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

Does the localization affect some glitches? - Page 1

Does the localization affect some glitches?

Posted by: BrockPetersSDD
Date: 2017-07-14 05:33:24
First post here, so I don't know much about this
But does the localization of the game affect glitches?
I know about some glitches that are different from cartridge to cartridge, but i don't know about glitches affected by the localization
Are there any? Because i want to try them on italian versions, both on console and emulator

Re: Does the localization affect some glitches?

Posted by: Caveat
Date: 2017-07-14 05:58:56
There are some glitches that were fixed in European localizations (Old Man glitch, and some others I can't remember) but there is actually one glitch known to be exclusive to Spanish and Italian localizations!

If you encounter a Trainer, then use a glitch to surf into grass, you can encounter unusual Pokemon depending on the data of said trainer.

Here is its wiki page!

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-07-14 07:35:36

I know about some glitches that are different from cartridge to cartridge, but i don't know about glitches affected by the localization

Wait, what? Which ones are you talking about?

Posted by: BrockPetersSDD
Date: 2017-07-14 08:00:25

For example Female Symbol

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-07-14 09:24:45

For example Female Symbol

You put it like every cart changed what happened… xD

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2017-07-31 09:28:45
This question is rather vague but yes. For example, the bug that lets you collect multiple Nuggets from the disguised Team Rocket Grunt at the end of Nugget Bridge in Japanese and English versions of FireRed and LeafGreen was patched in European localizations to restore the original Red and Green behavior.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2017-08-15 08:10:02
Many glitches are JP-only, but even between close localizations, there are differences.

Many glitches only works in english games (Coin Case, Brock Through Walls, No Guard Glitch, Hooked Dragonite Glitch, Battle tower eon glitch… and so much more!) and some others need to be adapted to work on other games. This is because there is a shift in WRAM addresses between english and european non-english games, and that obviously affects the way glitches work.

However, european localizations are almost the same. I only know one subglitch working only in french games (cavern glitch) and there is two events of glitches working only in Italian and Spanish games (Missigning glitch in 2G and Walk on Water Glitch in 1G, the latter being adaptable to other localizations).

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-12-20 13:01:25
In addition to the glitches that require no other glitch, some of the glitch Pokémon (and glitch items, likely glitch moves) have differing traits between the localizations. This is especially true for Japanese and English versions, but also regular MissingNo.'s sprites for all six languages (Japanese, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish) with some of those like Red/Green freezing the game.

If I remember rightly as well, echinodermata documented there is a slight difference for at least one of the glitch Pokémon (possibly its level up moves) between English Red and English Blue. Some of the glitch items have different names between English Red and English Blue as well.

The Japanese versions of Pokémon Red/Green have two revisions (v1.0 and Rev A), and the Japanese versions of Pokémon Yellow as many as four (v1.0, Rev A, Rev B, Rev 3). English Crystal has two revisions, as does Japanese Gold/Silver. Later generations continued to release different revisions, with these being available on Nintendo eShop as patches for Generations VI and VII. The nature of what 'glitch things' actually are (usually extrapolated data) may mean that there could be differences in say glitch Pokémon even for games like Pokémon X and Y.

I've learned thanks to both Hakuda and testing of the glitch items that some of the glitch items in Generation I have unintentional differences regarding the effects between the different revisions.

Examples:
GoldBadge (0x6A) in Red/Green v1.0
GoldBadge (0x6A) in Red/Green v1.1

Also:
FalconBadge (0x65) in Japanese Yellow v1.0
FalconBadge (0x65) in Japanese Yellow v1.1 and up

Intentional revision differences are covered on these pages:
http://glitchcity.info/wiki/List_of_revision_differences_in_the_core_Pok%C3%A9mon_games
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Red_and_Green_Versions#Version_history
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Yellow_Version#Version_history
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Crystal_Version#Version_history