Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

PSA: The Virtual Console is not an accurate emulator - Page 1

PSA: The Virtual Console is not an accurate emulator

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-03-09 19:52:23
The 3DS Virtual Console may behave differently than a real system or an accurate emulator in particular instances related to glitching. If you have a question about performing a particular procedure, please indicate what system you are using to play the game.

More details can be found here. (This applies to both R/B/Y/G and G/S/C, as the assembly instructions are the same.)

Also, from ISSOtm:

[There may not be] emulation inaccuracies, but keep in mind the ROMs played through the VC are patched.
There are plenty of reasons to frown upon VC because of it not doing its job. Code has been changed to work in the emulator, which is [the same as a ROM hack].

However, there are still options available if you want to stick with using the Virtual Console for ACE, such as this and this. In non-ACE cases, there's also a good chance that what you're trying will simply work anyway.

Re: PSA: The Virtual Console is not an accurate emulator

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-03-10 10:50:07
GBA VC is the only exception to this, as it's hardware-backed.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2019-03-13 18:24:24
It's not an exception, while it's hardware-backed it's not confirmed to be 100% true to the original GBA. Particularly for timing things.

Date: 2019-03-14 07:12:04

It's not an exception, while it's hardware-backed it's not confirmed to be 100% true to the original GBA. Particularly for timing things.
that's fair. At least it's not total shit like the others, though.

Posted by: Kyouken
Date: 2019-04-12 21:20:32
Slightly off-topic (and a one-month bump, sorry), but concerning the VC versions of R/B/Y and G/S/C, how accurate is this statement:

And finally, keep in mind that VC can brick your 3DS easily.

I ask merely out of curiosity, as I've done quite of bit with 3DS hacking and such and have never seen this nor heard of this. Is it speculation, or is there a documented case of a 3DS getting bricked due to ACE from one of these games? To boot, and more on-topic, would it happen due to the inaccuracies of the emulation?

Date: 2019-04-13 14:12:38

I definitely need to look up the bricking issue, as I hadn't heard of that.

Well, that's because it was an April Fools! Think of it as a… brick joke

I will edit the post to strikethrough the claim, though, as people may take it seriously now.

Posted by: Kyouken
Date: 2019-04-13 17:54:50
*facepalm*

Thanks for clearing that up, aha. I thought it was something potentially interesting, but I guess not. Oh well!

Date: 2019-04-22 13:49:30
There is potential for VC to be able to brick your 3DS, but it's very, very unlikely anyone will develop the method. (And besides, I'm pretty sure there's no way to permanently brick a 3DS)

Date: 2019-04-22 17:17:00

And besides, I'm pretty sure there's no way to permanently brick a 3DS
Short of flashing the NAND to be 0 bytes large, no. This is due to boot0 exploits like ntrboot.