Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation IV Glitch Discussion

Understanding the Void Glitch - Page 1

Understanding the Void Glitch

Posted by: Auburn
Date: 2009-04-21 14:32:45
I?m hoping this is the right place to post this…

So I?ve been exploring the Void glitch in Diamond/Pearl, and have learned a few things about how the void is set up, however I don?t know what this data truly indicates. I?m hoping someone who understands the D/P game engine might be able to interpret this. Here?s what I?ve seen:

Upon entering the Void/Mystery Zone (the black area surrounding any ?inside? location) the name of the Void changes when I walk around. To be more exact, it changes in intervals of 32 steps. This is because the Void as well as the entire game is divided into 32x32 step sections.

Additionally, after going either North/South/East/West for 65,536 steps, the original section (the section I entered the Void from) will once again appear visibly. I suspect this has something to do with hexadecimal numbers, and I suspect that after reaching the final hex number (65,536) the game resets it?s values, hence giving me the ?starting? location again (?)

I hope I?m not losing anyone. It?s somewhat complicated to explain. And it only gets more complex =P *crosses fingers* here's some more:

If I save in the Void and reset the game, upon restarting, the game will load me in the exact same (x,y) coordinates but in the Mystery Zone surrounding the section I save in. Let me explain it this way - if I enter the Poketch Co.-Void and save 400 steps North at  Turnback Cave area, then reset, then I will now be 400 steps above a Turnback Cave room instead of the Poketch Co. room.

In other words, the Void changes into the Void of whatever section I save in - but I remain in te same coordinates (the same distance away from the original entry to the Void).

This is somewhat related, but there is a definite pattern in the Void. When you enter the Void, the column (vertical) of sections you are in will repeat horizontally in a staircase pattern ? like this:

[img]http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp204/Auburneye/staircasevoid2.jpg[/img]

Re: Understanding the Void Glitch

Posted by: glitchuntress
Date: 2009-04-21 15:02:02
I kind of knew this, but good job on figuring it out any way.

Date: 2009-04-21 16:49:44
Nice, how did you know this?

And also, I post this not just to inform. I post this with the hopes that someone here knows what this data means exactly and can clarify a few things. I want to know how it might be possible to predict where a specific section may show up in the Void. This way, practical glitches can be developed from it. I've found a way to find Giratina via this glitch without having to have more than two badges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SXsuTLRHd8

I hope to find Arceus in a similar way. In theory, if I found the location "Hall of Origin" in the void (let's say at 20,000 steps North) and then saved the game & reloaded the game - I would then be 20,000 steps above the Hall of Origin and could cycle down to it to get Arceus.

The issue is finding Hall of Origin in the void. I'm hoping that a pattern exists as to why sections show up in the order that they do in the void. And if this pattern could be understood, then perhaps the place where the location "Hall of Origin" appears in the void can be discovered (?)

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2009-04-22 10:02:16

Additionally, after going either North/South/East/West for 65,536 steps, the original section (the section I entered the Void from) will once again appear visibly. I suspect this has something to do with hexadecimal numbers, and I suspect that after reaching the final hex number (65,536) the game resets it?s values, hence giving me the ?starting? location again (?)

Yes this is correct Hexidecimal FFFF is 65535, so as a 16 bit number the only value it can go to after is 0 (relative to where you started)
The (?) made me think you needed confirmation.

Posted by: glitchuntress
Date: 2009-04-22 15:24:30

I figured it out after watching a lot of tweaking videos.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-04-22 15:33:08

And also, I post this not just to inform. I post this with the hopes that someone here knows what this data means exactly and can clarify a few things. I want to know how it might be possible to predict where a specific section may show up in the Void. This way, practical glitches can be developed from it. I've found a way to find Giratina via this glitch without having to have more than two badges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SXsuTLRHd8

I hope to find Arceus in a similar way. In theory, if I found the location "Hall of Origin" in the void (let's say at 20,000 steps North) and then saved the game & reloaded the game - I would then be 20,000 steps above the Hall of Origin and could cycle down to it to get Arceus.

The issue is finding Hall of Origin in the void. I'm hoping that a pattern exists as to why sections show up in the order that they do in the void. And if this pattern could be understood, then perhaps the place where the location "Hall of Origin" appears in the void can be discovered (?)

The only annoying part about trying to locate the Hall of Origin is that you'll be stuck up there because the Stairway isn't there. So unless you use a Walkthrough walls AR code to get down your pretty much stuck up there because the area isn't really large enough for the Tweaking Glitch. Hey, want to add me as a friend on youtube? My account name is glitchhunter09.

Edit: Nevermind, I'll send the invite on youtube.
Btw to anyone who thinks I'm flirting, I'm not. I already have a soon to be girlfriend thank you very much.

Date: 2009-04-22 18:40:47
The only annoying part about trying to locate the Hall of Origin is that you'll be stuck up there because the Stairway isn't there. So unless you use a Walkthrough walls AR code to get down your pretty much stuck up there because the area isn't really large enough for the Tweaking Glitch.

Hmm…
I think that the Hall of Origin [Spear Pillar + Stairs + Arceus' Platform] is it's own separate room in the game's map, and not the same place as Spear Pillar. In other words, when the Azure Flue is played, the game will teleport you to another location altogether. This new place has the stair graphics embedded into it always, as well as the platform.

I'm almost positive this is the case but need to double check. Some friends at my site are trying to confirm this. But anyhow, the reason I say this is because that means, in theory:

If I save at a "Hall of Origin" location in the void, then when I reload my game, I will be in the surrounding darkness of the Hall of Origin. From there I can make my way back to the starting point and I should see the Hall of Origin with stairs and the platform.

But my biggest question is: where is the Hall of Origin?  :???:

Btw to anyone who thinks I'm flirting, I'm not. I already have a soon to be girlfriend thank you very much.

lol ^^;
and congrats!

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-04-29 17:36:54

Additionally, after going either North/South/East/West for 65,536 steps, the original section (the section I entered the Void from) will once again appear visibly. I suspect this has something to do with hexadecimal numbers, and I suspect that after reaching the final hex number (65,536) the game resets it’s values, hence giving me the “starting” location again (?)

I hope I’m not losing anyone. It’s somewhat complicated to explain. And it only gets more complex =P *crosses fingers* here's some more:

If I save in the Void and reset the game, upon restarting, the game will load me in the exact same (x,y) coordinates but in the Mystery Zone surrounding the section I save in. Let me explain it this way - if I enter the Poketch Co.-Void and save 400 steps North at  Turnback Cave area, then reset, then I will now be 400 steps above a Turnback Cave room instead of the Poketch Co. room.

So, if you walk 65,536 steps in any direction, you will end up in Fake-Sinnoh, right?

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-04-29 18:24:18

Additionally, after going either North/South/East/West for 65,536 steps, the original section (the section I entered the Void from) will once again appear visibly. I suspect this has something to do with hexadecimal numbers, and I suspect that after reaching the final hex number (65,536) the game resets it’s values, hence giving me the “starting” location again (?)

I hope I’m not losing anyone. It’s somewhat complicated to explain. And it only gets more complex =P *crosses fingers* here's some more:

So, if you walk 65,536 steps in any direction, you will end up in Fake-Sinnoh, right?
Not allways. Only if your in a sinnoh-void.
A sinnoh void is when you save in a outside location in the void.
If you save in a location in fake-sinnoh that's has a lable of jubalife city,you will end up on the exact tile you are standing on, in real sinnoh.
To find arceus, you would find a HoH location, get to the real hoh, and go to a fake HoH from there. The fake HoH HAS to be labled HoH. Otherwise, you wont end up in the HoH at all when you save and reset.

Date: 2009-04-29 21:00:36
So you're saying that there are actually two Halls of Origin and one is just a booby trap to punish hackers? That would explain how come if a player some how manages to make it into there via that one glitch in the Japanese version of D/P.

Date: 2009-04-29 21:25:04
No.
If you save in a fake HoH thats not labled hall of origin, you would end up somewere in sinnoh, or inside a building/cave. Or you game would become unbootaable

Date: 2009-04-29 21:26:41
Bottom line, DON'T SAVE IN A FAKE HALL OF ORIGIN THAT'S NOT LABELED HALL OF ORIGIN.

Date: 2009-04-29 21:28:02

Bottom line, DON'T SAVE IN A FAKE HALL OF ORIGIN.
Bottom line, YOU HAVE TO SAVE IN A FAKE HALL OF ORIGIN TO GET INTO A REAL ONE

Date: 2009-04-29 21:30:50

Bottom line, DON'T SAVE IN A FAKE HALL OF ORIGIN.
Bottom line, YOU HAVE TO SAVE IN A FAKE HALL OF ORIGIN TO GET INTO A REAL ONE

Edited my own post.

By the way, I found this on Bulbapedia "When the player accesses the Hall of Origin by blowing into the Azure Flute, they are actually teleported from Spear Pillar to the Hall of Origin; the camera angle changes completely, as does the name of the location (evidenced on the captured Arceus's status screen). Despite this, it is inaccessible by the Surf glitch and tweaking, partly because of the inability to go underground here."
It appears as if it might be inaccessible, unless you walk a crazy amount of steps.

Date: 2009-04-29 21:34:05
And even if you do get in there, there isn't a  guarantee that you'll be able to ever get out. I've read  on bulbapedia that if you somehow get in there without using the Azure Flute, you'll be stuck in the Hall of Origin….Forever….