Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation IV Glitch Discussion

Pokemon Platinum Glitch Help? - Page 1

Pokemon Platinum Glitch Help?

Posted by: TheInsignia
Date: 2010-06-18 03:52:18
Hey guys,

I think I'll just cut straight to the point; hopefully you guys will be able to help me out here. Basically, my brother was messing around with AR on his PKMN Platinum (as always) and he decided to use the "walk through walls" cheat in Amity Square whilst he had a Drifloon following him. He went into one of those tall buildings whilst holding L (to activate walk through walls) and his game froze. So he re-booted and left Amity Square (probably using "walk through walls" but I dunno) and ever since the game has been registering that he has had a partner following him. That means no Fly, no Surfm no Bicycle. So he was sort of stuck but then he went into a wild battle and strange things happened:

- He teamed with a clone of himself (Either as "      " or PKMN Trainer Ryon).
- The clone sent out —– I believe.
- The wild battle consisted of a real Pokemon (such as Pelipper) and either Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur or just a blank space called "ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd"
- The battle was either treated as a tutorial (so he couldnt select anything) or a Safari Zone game.

His Pokemon would be healed after every battle and standard Trainer battles would play like normal. Now, he's somehow stuck in the Resort Area with no-where to go (as he cant use Fly or Surf! :P) and we've been trying to find a way to fix his game (the AR is busted for some reason, piece of unreliable crap :)).

I suggested trying to enter a double battle in the Battle Tower to replace the data. Do any of you know what we can do or is his game truly ruined?

Thanks,

Connor.

Re: Pokemon Platinum Glitch Help?

Posted by: Destinatus
Date: 2010-06-18 04:34:15
…I have an idea or two.

You can restart the data. But that's a last resort, so let's drift over what this problem is.

You say…he pressed L to walk through walls to enter a building and his game froze, yeah?

This has happened to me a couple times, so I know how it feels.

Do the double battle solution as a trying thing. IF all else fails, restart the data.

But don't do that YET, because someone else may have an idea.

Date: 2010-06-18 04:37:44
Yeah. I warned him about the dangers of AR but he didn't listen. Restarting is a last resort though, I hope.

Anyone else got any solutions? :o

Date: 2010-06-18 04:46:55
Ok, before we go rushing around, (don't wanna sound like a jackass) let's get some things straight.

Did you use Action Replay DS or DSi?

Has this ever happened to you prior to this?

PKMN Trainer Ryon…maybe it's a trainer that didn't quite make it to the full game. Torchickens can probably look into this, because my Action Replay isn't worth crap anyway. AND yes, I do have Platinum.

Date: 2010-06-18 05:41:22
It was on a standard DS. No it hasn't happened before :P and it ponly comes up with PKMN Trainer Ryon because my brother's character is called Ryon, meaning it makes a clone of himself that sometimes has a strange colour palette of himself.

Date: 2010-06-18 05:45:15
Hmmm…interesting. So the Trainer's name is the character's…and the occasional odd palette…interesting! Tell you what. I'll PM Torchickens and ask if he has a Platinum ROM he can use. Can you give a code?

Posted by: Firemonkey1
Date: 2010-06-18 07:22:01
Actually, this reminds me of a glitch that I once discovered inside of Super Mario 64 DS, Version 1.1, involving that if you use the levitation and green shell codes inside of a Warp Zone at Bob-omb Battlefield while colliding with the ceiling, the game shall interpret this data as you still teleporting, thus causing the character and texture of the game to appear as it did during a particular sequence of teleportation.
If the building that was entered was a teleporting one, then the game could have interpreted the data as the player still inside of Amity Square.

Date: 2010-06-18 07:38:51
O_O That's a pretty good point you got there.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-06-18 11:02:47

Hmmm…interesting. So the Trainer's name is the character's…and the occasional odd palette…interesting! Tell you what. I'll PM Torchickens and ask if he has a Platinum ROM he can use. Can you give a code?

I don't, sorry. Nowadays I tend to test phenomena like this on the actual console but, back in 2008 my Action Replay DS' code database became corrupted to the extent that whenever I put in the Action Replay DS the game will just freeze with a white screen until I turn the console off.

Actually, this reminds me of a glitch that I once discovered inside of Super Mario 64 DS, Version 1.1, involving that if you use the levitation and green shell codes inside of a Warp Zone at Bob-omb Battlefield while colliding with the ceiling, the game shall interpret this data as you still teleporting, thus causing the character and texture of the game to appear as it did during a particular sequence of teleportation.
If the building that was entered was a teleporting one, then the game could have interpreted the data as the player still inside of Amity Square.

Yes; that is correct, once the player enters e.g. the warps within Bob-Omb Battlefield's mountain the game should temporarily prevent the player from moving away, so that the game can realistically start the processes which make it appear that the player is about to warp (i.e. prevented movement, player is made partially transparent, etc), then after a short amount of time the game would make the player reappear elsewhere, it is only when the player reappears the textures/etc are reloaded back to their defaults. If you somehow manage to escape the warp area just after the game makes you translucent (not usually possible because of prevented controls), it won't warp you, hence the game won't set your character's texture back to its default again.

The reason why you might be able to move again after hitting the wall is that such abilities (movement with D-pad/touch screen) are re-enabled after the player lands on the floor from a collision, (or if the collision was from the ground and after about two seconds).

Hey guys,

I think I'll just cut straight to the point; hopefully you guys will be able to help me out here. Basically, my brother was messing around with AR on his PKMN Platinum (as always) and he decided to use the "walk through walls" cheat in Amity Square whilst he had a Drifloon following him. He went into one of those tall buildings whilst holding L (to activate walk through walls) and his game froze. So he re-booted and left Amity Square (probably using "walk through walls" but I dunno) and ever since the game has been registering that he has had a partner following him. That means no Fly, no Surfm no Bicycle. So he was sort of stuck but then he went into a wild battle and strange things happened:

- He teamed with a clone of himself (Either as "      " or PKMN Trainer Ryon).
- The clone sent out —– I believe.
- The wild battle consisted of a real Pokemon (such as Pelipper) and either Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur or just a blank space called "ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd"
- The battle was either treated as a tutorial (so he couldnt select anything) or a Safari Zone game.

His Pokemon would be healed after every battle and standard Trainer battles would play like normal. Now, he's somehow stuck in the Resort Area with no-where to go (as he cant use Fly or Surf! :P) and we've been trying to find a way to fix his game (the AR is busted for some reason, piece of unreliable crap :)).

I suggested trying to enter a double battle in the Battle Tower to replace the data. Do any of you know what we can do or is his game truly ruined?

Thanks,

Connor.

I can give you a few suggestions, I hope this helps.

1) Starting a multi-battle streak in the Battle Tower might solve the problem. Prior to Pokémon Heartgold and Soulsilver, the Generation IV games would treat a Pokémon following the player the same way that it would treat a partner, so that explains why the game thinks that you have a partner with you in battle, such 'partner' data for a Pokémon is undefined however, which can explain the glitchy effects.

By forcing the game to assign you with another partner, that should hopefully overwrite the 'partner pokémon' data with a normal trainer like Marley. If you then retired your first match, the game would make Marley leave you and the problem would be solved. One problem that you might encounter though is that if the game might display some sort of message like 'You already have a partner.', if that appears you'll have to try something different.

2) Doing method #1 with a Single Battle or Double Battle streak might also work, if you consider that the game has to change the battle mode (e.g. by default battles are single mode), again to save time you might want to retire on your first battle. This is presuming multi battles are considered to be their own distinctive battle mode, if they're not maybe you'll have more luck with single mode?

3) As a last resort you can try the game's factory reset to delete the save data; Down+B+Start+Select.

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2010-06-18 13:51:36
That reminds me of a glitch (I suppose) that happened to me in Amity Square, I had some Walk Through Walls code (and some other random stuff) on, and basically in the end, I can no longer enter it without my game freezing :|

Posted by: Firemonkey1
Date: 2010-06-18 21:39:47

[Quoting Torchickens!]Yes; that is correct, once the player enters e.g. the warps within Bob-Omb Battlefield's mountain the game should temporarily prevent the player from moving away, so that the game can realistically start the processes which make it appear that the player is about to warp (i.e. prevented movement, player is made partially transparent, etc), then after a short amount of time the game would make the player reappear elsewhere, it is only when the player reappears the textures/etc are reloaded back to their defaults. If you somehow manage to escape the warp area just after the game makes you translucent (not usually possible because of prevented controls), it won't warp you, hence the game won't set your character's texture back to its default again.

The reason why you might be able to move again after hitting the wall is that such abilities (movement with D-pad/touch screen) are re-enabled after the player lands on the floor from a collision, (or if the collision was from the ground and after about two seconds).
[Quoting Torchickens!]

Yes, that is basically the correct procedure to to perform it, including exiting the Warp Zone while you still remain translucent. Thank you for illuminating on that.

Date: 2010-06-19 04:36:55
These are good ideas guys… is there anyway to get to the Battle Tower from Resort Area without using Fly or Surf? :|

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2010-06-19 11:17:52
Well, there SHOULD…

Just head to the north and follow the map. If you have a Bike, you're set.

Date: 2010-06-19 18:37:00
Battle Tower didn't work BUT I did fix the game by borrowing an AR, using Walk Through Walls to return to Amity Square where I was spoken to as if leaving and then the game fixed itself.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-06-20 06:53:33

Battle Tower didn't work BUT I did fix the game by borrowing an AR, using Walk Through Walls to return to Amity Square where I was spoken to as if leaving and then the game fixed itself.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Glad to hear that your game is back to normal again :)