Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation IV Glitch Discussion

Gen4: Glitching the game with an empty party - Page 1

Gen4: Glitching the game with an empty party

Posted by: RichardG867
Date: 2015-01-15 08:15:46
Hey people, I've been lurking on this forum for a while, and was told to register after doing some experiments on the subject of this topic.

On Gen4, if you edit your save to have an empty party with a party count* of 6 (Pokesav lets you do that), the game starts behaving unpredictably when it comes to your party Pokémon. You enter wild battles with and using random bad eggs and/or glitch Pokémon (that may or may not crash the game or emulator) like these ones:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/lCq8kvO.png[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/9J7pK3V.png[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/IddWgC3.png[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/AGXg2Pb.png[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/EzLG9tM.png[/img]

Those usually have ridiculously long animations that you can fast-forward through. I've managed to get bad eggs that will actually go into battle without crashing and do weird things (such as Drizzle, burn without the BRN indicator and recovering from it using a no-name item, or poison damage that crashes the game during calculation), but I couldn't get those again.

Other behavior:

I'm not sure what hex values or moves those glitch Pokémon have, since I can't find a memory map for HGSS anywhere, and in fact I would appreciate one for something non-glitch-related I'm working on.

* If you set your party count of 0, you get your real party, except the lead has a glitched sprite and Bulbasaur's cry.

EDIT: Found a couple screenshots of the bad eggs that did go into battle:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/PKhMSHc.png?1[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/I9GroU1.png?1[/img]

Re: Gen4: Glitching the game with an empty party

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2015-01-15 08:44:26
I'll probably be doing my own Gen 4-related research when I get the time. I, for one, am interested in that third screenshot.

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2015-01-15 09:19:15
The only way to get these type of glitches legitimately in Gen 4 is by Sketching a glitch move from a Bad EGG (either by fighting a wild Smeargle in Artisan Cave or having a Ditto transform into a Bad EGG, then switching to Smeargle). I haven't really tested a lot with later gen glitches, but I did migrate a Smeargle with a glitch move. The glitch move's type crashed the game, but if you use Assist, you can use the move. Interestingly, with animations on it does an "infinite" DoubleSlap, but with animations off, it simply skips your turn.

Perhaps a glitch move with that can corrupt the game in any way could allow this glitch to happen without cheating.

Also, you can't trade glitch moves to Gen 5; it blocks the Pokémon out :(.

Unrelated Edit: Just realized that this is the 10 000th post in the Pokemon Glitch Discussion Board :P.

[size=2pt]Where is my reward?[/size]

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2015-01-15 09:44:28
I wonder how Gen 4 migration handles my Ruby save file. Probably will just error out because 0 pokemon.

Posted by: sunriseespeon
Date: 2015-01-17 10:20:12
Oh nice, I might try this.

Just a question, what emulator do you use? I use DeSmuME and the version I have doesn't have speedup. I also have no$gba, but it… doesn't like my computer very much. I would like to view this without waiting 5 hours (DeSmuME is very slow on non-Japanese ROMs for me, and long animations would be unbearable) for the animation to complete.

Date: 2015-01-17 11:31:19
Just a question, what emulator do you use? I use DeSmuME and the version I have doesn't have speedup. I also have no$gba, but it… doesn't like my computer very much. I would like to view this without waiting 5 hours (DeSmuME is very slow on non-Japanese ROMs for me, and long animations would be unbearable) for the animation to complete.

DeSmuME 0.9.10, or 0.9.9 when I need the GBA slot. You should be able to hold Tab.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-01-17 13:09:50
Very interesting. Unfortunately your method freezes the game before battle on my Pearl (on real hardware). I don't know if doesn't work on Pearl, if DeSmuME is doing an emulation error, or if there are other factors involved, such as the version. I guess in-game variables could also be involved, maybe if the game is sending out Pokémon past slot 6. Is that Skitty silhouette even used?

Edit: When I do this on my EU HG on real hardware, it gives me 6 unusable Bad Eggs and the party doesn't freeze unless you view one of their summaries. Earlier I did some experimentation and found that if you have only two unusable Bad Eggs in the party then game will send out 0000 ('DPBox'). This is just a guess, but maybe the game tries to send out another Pokémon in your party since Eggs and Bad Eggs like this cannot be used, but here you already have 6, so the game can't. I would have to try 1-5 Bad Eggs in the party though.

Unfortunately the game froze as soon as I sent out a level 230 Bad Egg, but the opponent was corrupted to a burned Bad Egg at level 77.

Date: 2015-01-18 07:13:12

Very interesting. Unfortunately your method freezes the game before battle on my Pearl (on real hardware). I don't know if doesn't work on Pearl, if DeSmuME is doing an emulation error, or if there are other factors involved, such as the version. I guess in-game variables could also be involved, maybe if the game is sending out Pokémon past slot 6. Is that Skitty silhouette even used?

Most glitched battles freeze on DP, however I managed to trigger some that don't crash on Route 201 somehow.

Edit: When I do this on my EU HG on real hardware, it gives me 6 unusable Bad Eggs and the party doesn't freeze unless you view one of their summaries. Earlier I did some experimentation and found that if you have only two unusable Bad Eggs in the party then game will send out 0000 ('DPBox'). This is just a guess, but maybe the game tries to send out another Pokémon in your party since Eggs and Bad Eggs like this cannot be used, but here you already have 6, so the game can't. I would have to try 1-5 Bad Eggs in the party though.

If it doesn't crash on real hardware, it's an emulator inaccuracy. I know the tweaking glitch crashes DeSmuME when it would work on real hardware.

Unfortunately the game froze as soon as I sent out a level 230 Bad Egg, but the opponent was corrupted to a burned Bad Egg at level 77.

When I first tried the glitch, I got several bad eggs that would go into battle and do all kinds of weird stuff that eventually froze the game, but I haven't been able to again.

Date: 2015-02-06 14:27:23
I have it working!
I don't have any screenshots of it (will have to grab from video I recorded since I'm having trouble getting it uploaded) but heres the rundown
-Normal glitchy stuff, since this was just some random save I grabbed from pokédit I can't advance unless I do so manually on a normal save file (which I'm too lazy to, I had a normal save file but I think I deleted it when clearing out stuff in my folders) so I was just on the route outside Cherrygrove
-I got into a battle with a bad egg! Like, the fight screen loaded. It was hilarious. I was hurt by poison twice in a row, asleep, and burned. The poison/burn damage seems to like looping down from 99 to decrease 1 hp, but on the last loop it loops down from 999, not 99. I spammed throwing balls at it (but box was full, because this was just some random file with every pokemon) and one time a message simply said: x995… then the game crashed.
-I tried the rival battle. It crashed and made horrendous noises.

I'm going to advance normally and try it at different times. Maybe I should try it on my Japanese roms? Does pokesav even work with them?

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2015-02-06 16:01:09

Maybe I should try it on my Japanese roms? Does pokesav even work with them?

It does but you need to set Windows to use the Japanese encoding in non-Unicode software, which somehow causes Pokesav to always yield the error message that the save file is of the wrong type. That is my experience with it, at least. I've tried the original Japanese versions of the program and the English-translated ones too.

Date: 2015-03-01 08:32:04
Update: I have a video (it's actually been uploaded for a while), but it's pretty boring.

More exciting is that I got D/P to play a glitch song of sorts. But I didn't get to record it. They crash a LOT more in D/P, even before the entry animations.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-03-01 08:56:12
Cool. Where can we find the video Sunrise?

Date: 2015-03-01 11:17:03

Cool. Where can we find the video Sunrise?

I think I might need to reupload it. My friend had it on her youtube account, but I think she took the video down, or if she even managed to upload it in the first place because she was having trouble (so was I which was why I asked her to upload it in the first place)

I'll probably try and edit it more too, since it's really slow at times (emulator problems).

Posted by: rortik
Date: 2015-03-23 06:07:41
Another way to send out weird glitches is to get to a point in the game (DPP) where someone is following you, then use WTW to ditch them.

Entering any battle afterwards will cause a clone of you to send out weird glitches.