Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation IV Glitch Discussion

Arceus Plate Glitch Discoveries - Page 1

Arceus Plate Glitch Discoveries

Posted by: Deku-Kitty
Date: 2017-03-21 08:43:52
I know that there's a thread already on this glitch, but considering it's 7 years old I wasn't sure if I should have bumped it or not. You can merge this with that thread if that would be better.

For a refresher, the Arceus Plate Glitch is a glitch where having an Arceus holding a plate in the first slot of your party will freeze the game upon encountering a Pokemon in the Safari Zone/Great Marsh and Pal Park.

This glitch was quite hard to test before due to how difficult Arceus was to obtain without hacking, but thanks to the Pal Park Retire glitch it is much easier to get an Arceus. So I slapped a plate on my Arceus obtained via the glitch and headed off to the Great Marsh in my US version of Pearl. Sure enough, the game froze with that wonderful nightmare inducing screech.
One trade later, I then tested the glitch in my US Platinum. The glitch didn't work, I was able to catch Pokemon in the Marsh with 100% less crashing. And yes, my Arceus did have a plate and was in the first slot of my party. This surprised me, as the lack of this glitch working is in contrast to its entry on Bulbapedia, which lists it under glitches that work in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum.

TL;DR
- The glitch does work with the Arceus obtained via Pal Park Retire.
- Because of this, it's likely that any Arceus will cause this glitch, how it's obtained is irrelevant.
- Contrary to some sources, I was unable to get the glitch to work on an American copy of Platinum.
- It can be assumed that this glitch does not work on any version of HGSS, backed up by research from the old thread.

Questions
- Does the glitch work in Japanese versions of Platinum?
- Does it work in other languages versions of Diamond and Pearl?
- Why does this glitch happen at all? What part of Arceus holding a plate cause the game to crash in these areas where you don't even send out a Pokemon?

Re: Arceus Plate Glitch Discoveries

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-03-21 13:13:38
The crash part might be because the game attempts to edit the type of a non-loaded Pokémon (since you didn't even send one out).
100% not verified hypothesis right thar.

Posted by: SnorlaxMonster
Date: 2017-03-22 00:53:53

One trade later, I then tested the glitch in my US Platinum. The glitch didn't work, I was able to catch Pokemon in the Marsh with 100% less crashing. And yes, my Arceus did have a plate and was in the first slot of my party. This surprised me, as the lack of this glitch working is in contrast to its entry on Bulbapedia, which lists it under glitches that work in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum.

Worth noting that the entry on Bulbapedia points out that it's unknown whether it works in Platinum or HGSS. I had only tested it in Diamond, so it's good to get it confirmed that it doesn't occur in Platinum.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2017-03-22 19:45:15
I tested with the 12th movie Arceus and there was no crash after a Great Marsh wild encounter in both Japanese Diamond and Japanese Platinum while holding a Plate and being the first entry on the Pokémon List.