Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation IV Glitch Discussion

Using the RETIRE glitch to enter the void? - Page 1

Using the RETIRE glitch to enter the void?

Posted by: Gravedigger
Date: 2017-05-04 13:24:40
Using the 'Retire' glitch in oreburgh city in D/P, you start the cutscene in which your Rival pushes you to the left, if you do this next to any house you can end up behind the door, enter it from the backside and get into the void. Alternatively, you can use Retire in the Great March building, which will make you walk downwards, even through the walls into the void.

Edit: Going to Amity Square and activating Retire makes you go up, or down depending or you answer the question with yes or no, I am currently in the process of testing how far up and down I can go before I can freely move in the void, or I get stuck and the script unloads

Answer: Going up, you crash once you load 'Oreburgh city', and going down you enter Mystery zone, but are able to walk back up into Amity Square.

Issues:
1) First of all, you have to lose  a battle in the void to maintain the Retire effect and be able to leave the void (as far as I've tested).
You can't use fly, teleport, escape ropes or dig because you're still in the palpad mode and can't access these.
2)  you will have to walk all the way to Oreburgh city as you'll spawn in the last pokecenter you entered before entering the void.
3) you can no longer fight any non-player battles in this mode, so gameplay is limited in this mode.
4) you can't use your bike, fly or any of the mentioned actions in 1), even after you left the void, but hey, at least you can walk through the grass without getting attacked… ha.
5) You can't save unless you're in a pokecenter, or any other area that forces you to save (like jubilife's WFC)

There are a lot of downsides to this, and I don't know or you can disabled the Palpad mode by going into the void and into the palpark area, but I mainly posted this to just share some findings, don't think anyone else posted about this way of getting into the void yet either.
Don't recommend using this for real, but do what you want :)

I'm gonna add some screens and videos of this later today, to show my findings!

Interesting thing, using RETIRE in Great Marsch to run around it, going above the door to the safari zone, using RETIRE to get under it and then entering the door makes you able to fight pokemon in the Safari zone, without paying, you can catch them with normal pokeballs (I used Duskballs) and gain experience, its the only zone I've found in which you can fight… and you're not supposed to be able to fight here :p

Re: Using the RETIRE glitch to enter the void?

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-05-05 15:17:31
I guess you can get into the Sinnoh void by going left repeatedly ?
… or the Rival's script gets unloaded. Forget this (but posting anyways in case magic happens)

Date: 2017-05-05 17:09:49

I guess you can get into the Sinnoh void by going left repeatedly ?
… or the Rival's script gets unloaded. Forget this (but posting anyways in case magic happens)

Is there any benefit over using the void by walking into the door from the backside? If so, I could test to see how far you could get before the script unloads.

Date: 2017-05-05 17:21:08
I don't think so. But Gotta Document 'Em All !

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-05-05 18:30:59

But Gotta Document 'Em All !

I do believe the term you're looking for is i'm bored, but I'll try it anyway because I need something to do.

Date: 2017-05-06 03:16:39
No. I'm talking about "Try everything, so we can document it". Because documentation always eventually comes in handy.
Also, I'm not bored, I've got lots of stuff I'm trying to do :D

Date: 2017-05-06 07:31:34

No. I'm talking about "Try everything, so we can document it". Because documentation always eventually comes in handy.
Also, I'm not bored, I've got lots of stuff I'm trying to do :D

Tested, trying it at the wall at the far left makes the script change to a trainer tips sign, and ad the cave down right in Oreburgh you end up stuck in a wall in a mystery zone, I did find a very good void though, the building left of the pokemarkt seems to have a very stable void without any barriers blocking me. Also a sideeffect of the RETIRE glitch seemed like certain NPS' went invisible with only a shadow showing, untill intereacted with of reloading of sprites.

Date: 2017-05-06 09:25:56
That's interesting. Was their collision still present ?

Date: 2017-05-06 09:37:32

That's interesting. Was their collision still present ?

Shadow, collision, untill you interact with them, then they appear. I also found a glitchpokemon, but I made a seperate post about that :)

Date: 2017-05-06 10:16:19
Well, their collision being still loaded is a shame. But it's a nice Tweaking Fun, I guess ^^

Date: 2017-05-06 10:20:30

Well, their collision being still loaded is a shame. But it's a nice Tweaking Fun, I guess ^^

In most areas you can just use RETIRED to activate a script that stops NPC's from walking, or turning around, this can be really handy to skip certain NPC's, as you can just RETIRE to make them stuck looking in a certain area, open your inventory and close it to make them turn the other direction and use RETIRE again to get them stuck, repeat at liking as many times as you want too, but its still not the same as them not having a collision though..