Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation IV Glitch Discussion

In-game trades with wrong language of origin after transfer - Page 1

In-game trades with wrong language of origin after transfer

Posted by: SnorlaxMonster
Date: 2017-06-25 12:08:14
Apparently, some Generation IV in-game trade Pokémon end up with the wrong language of origin when transferred to Pokémon Bank by Poké Transporter. I have not verified this myself, but I've seen multiple reports of it. Specifically, they end up with a Japanese language of origin despite being obtained in an English language game.

In 2014, I claim to have seen a report of Charap being marked as Japanese in origin. I cannot remember where I saw this, but I do remember seeing it.

A few days ago, Bethany Lieflijk (one of my Twitter followers) reported that her Gaspar had become Japanese in origin after being transferred.

I also found this GameFAQs thread where several users report the same thing happening to Kazza and Gaspar.

My hypothesis is that the bug has something to do with in-game trade Pokémon having special language flags due to Foppa being specifically German.

EDIT: Apparently this issue also occurs in Generation V, so it's not a bug in Poké Transporter. It's much harder to notice in Generation V though.

EDIT 2: theSlayer checked, and apparently Charap, Kazza, and Gaspar are all flagged as Japanese in origin in English Diamond and Pearl. This seems to be fixed in other languages (Japanese is clearly fine, French and Korean were checked) as well as in Platinum (despite one of the sources I found claiming they had the same issue with in-game trades originating in Platinum).