Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation IV Glitch Discussion

How to catch glitch Pokémon in D/P(Pl?) - Page 2

Re: How to catch glitch Pokémon in D/P(Pl?)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-01-03 16:41:16
Thanks for the information. I've yet to have tried the partner out of bounds setup, but out of interest (on a physical DS Lite) I obtained all fainted Pokémon (with Pomeg Berry and Rare Candy) and activated Cheryl as a partner using the normal method (entering Eterna Forest for the first time). Unfortunately the game has only frozen with black screens so far, but the freeze occurred with the battle music still playing.

Posted by: RETIRE
Date: 2019-01-03 17:52:05

Thanks for the information. I've yet to have tried the partner out of bounds setup, but out of interest (on a physical DS Lite) I obtained all fainted Pokémon (with Pomeg Berry and Rare Candy) and activated Cheryl as a partner using the normal method (entering Eterna Forest for the first time). Unfortunately the game has only frozen with black screens so far, but the freeze occurred with the battle music still playing.

Crashes are still going to happen like 7/8 times. But I can confirm with cheryl I've gotten some working ones in her regular gameplay area!

Date: 2019-01-03 18:01:29

Crashes are still going to happen like 7/8 times. But I can confirm with cheryl I've gotten some working ones in her regular gameplay area!

Oh OK. Cool! I'll keep trying then. Were those from wild battles or a double Trainer? Also which region/game were you using if that matters? I'm using a NA Diamond (even though I live in Europe), but I have EU Pearl. Do I not need to have entered the Safari Zone at all (so say hypothetically you play up to Cheryl, trade in a Pomeg Berry from another game and keep trying wild encounters, will you eventually find stable glitch Pokémon)?

Tried the first Cheryl Double Trainer battle and that one didn't work. There is another Double Trainer pair, but Cheryl heals your party after every battle, and you need to have battled the first pair/have used Cut to get there, which is normally impossible because you need to have beaten Eterna Gym to use it. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Check this out ^^ I was trying both Cheryl (NA Diamond) and Marley (EU Platinum) multiple times and found success. Unfortunately after I sent out the Level 252 Bad Egg the game froze though. :(

[img]https://i.imgur.com/tvA3s08.png[/img]

Edit 2: Cheryl in US Diamond, unfortunately another freeze after I sent out the Bad Egg.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/8sQ5pQx.png[/img]

I've also got in on video if interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUOyO5XZakI

Posted by: BUGLITCH
Date: 2019-01-03 20:25:41
I've been busy lately but I'm glad to see it's getting somewhere, congratulation!

Date: 2019-01-03 20:52:10

I've been busy lately but I'm glad to see it's getting somewhere, congratulation!

Thanks! It seems that the next steps then may be to find out exactly what happens (whether the game indeed tries to load the 7th Pokémon if you have 6), and what this data represents. There might be a way of securing a decent chance of a non-freezing Bad Egg. RETIRE, when you took those screenshots do you remember if the game froze after sending out your Bad Egg like it did with me?

Date: 2019-01-04 02:25:23

Thanks! It seems that the next steps then may be to find out exactly what happens (whether the game indeed tries to load the 7th Pokémon if you have 6), and what this data represents. There might be a way of securing a decent chance of a non-freezing Bad Egg. RETIRE, when you took those screenshots do you remember if the game froze after sending out your Bad Egg like it did with me?

It did, but I also know why! If moves have indexes above the highest, the game automatically crashes after throwing out the pokémon. The data, from a first glance, may be read from the opponent's pokémon, and while searching for valid terminators it could corrupt that data along the way, resulting in two corrupted pokémon? I'd have to check on an emulator to be sure of that tho. I'm also going to make a full dp setup video allowing you to do this without pomeg, anywhere

Anyway, bad egg is actually an errorhandler. Its not a real glitchmon, in a way. If a pokémon's checksums are invalid it becomes a bad egg, but I have had real glitchmon appear on emu and they should be accesible on hardware too. By manipulating what enemy you encounter, you might be able to rng for overleveled glitchmon or ideally even regular pokémon, or breed a glitchmon for bad eggs that will change into valid pokémon.

Here's a list of potential crashes when battling
Buffer overflows
Invalid sprites
Invalid moves (both being loaded as selection on screen or used by the enemy)
Invalid weather types

An ideal battle would have
A valid checksum for at least the opponent's side (because glitchmon can be captured and eggs can't, also glitchmon can be bred into bad eggs anyway)
No glitchmoves on your side, no crashing ones on the other side
If this can be achieved at any point then your battle will most likely work

Date: 2019-01-07 14:05:42
Thanks for the information! :) I have a vague question, but do you think (given you need a Double Battle and a partner might set it up) would it be possible to do this on a specially crafted Pal Park Pokémon (with RNG abuse if necessary) to convert one of them into another species like say Celebi/Deoxys? It seems unlikely but that sounds like it could be a means of exploiting the glitch to get desired Pokémon, even perhaps if the foe becomes a Bad Egg and the only purpose is to register the base Pokémon's Pokédex entry (if it works like that). Thanks.

Date: 2019-01-07 14:14:32

Thanks for the information! :) I have a vague question, but do you think (given you need a Double Battle and a partner might set it up) would it be possible to do this on a specially crafted Pal Park Pokémon (with RNG abuse if necessary) to convert one of them into another species like say Celebi/Deoxys? It seems unlikely but that sounds like it could be a means of exploiting the glitch to get desired Pokémon, even perhaps if the foe becomes a Bad Egg and the only purpose is to register the base Pokémon's Pokédex entry (if it works like that). Thanks.

Whilst that sounds good at first, think about the instant boxing glitch. It doesn't matter what you capture in pal park, it just copy and pastes the data once you enter the pal park indoor map. And we've gotten fully working battles on emulator now, and we figured out that the values for the moves seem to be consistent using the same aslr. Which makes me wonder if it'll work at all on hardware (emus accept glitchmoves to be loaded)

Posted by: Matt1990
Date: 2019-05-18 09:07:06
[img]https://puu.sh/DtXJO/dd44aab2c5.png[/img]
Anyone else found this kind of glitchmons when performing this glitch? I mostly got the green box and the Bad eggs. Whenever I try to do any kind of action (save the game, another wild encounter of any kind, even with a healthy party, see its info on the box) the game will either crash or soft-freeze.

Posted by: Caveat
Date: 2019-05-18 17:26:42
Ooh, hybrids. Did you only encounter the Shellos hybrid?

I've noticed that most, if not all of the Glitch Pokemon in Gen 4 will crash the game whenever you do LITERALLY ANYTHING after catching them. RETIRE told me once (on his old account) that it corrupts the type of battle you're in (and probably some other stuff too) which makes me wonder if there's any possible way to get the game into a semi-playable state, or at least let you LOOK at the dang Pokemon.

Posted by: Matt1990
Date: 2019-05-18 20:56:01
Yeah, besides the green box/Bad eggs this is the only hybrid I've encountered. It did let me catch it and everything but right after it I couldn't do anything. Trying to view its info instantly soft-locked the game, trying a trainer/wild encounter or saving the game instantly froze it. Didn't know that you could encounter hybrids as well. If someone wants to work on it I can give my save state

EDIT: Other than the hybrid you can (although very rare) find Bad eggs with side effects such as these two:

[img]https://puu.sh/DuA12/a02b875e3c.png[/img]
This one flickered the screen and then it crashed the game
[img]https://puu.sh/DuA2u/0d57baf2a6.png[/img]
While this one just displayed a message and then froze the game

I'm quite sure that there will be other ones other than that. I'll keep trying and see if I run into something interesting

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2019-05-24 02:16:16
Twenty-six exclamation points. Impressive. :P