Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation IV Glitch Discussion

Arena Trap flee glitch (Platinum) - Page 1

Arena Trap flee glitch (Platinum)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-04-13 16:09:58
From Bulbapedia:

If the player is in a wild Double Battle (which, at the time, was only possible when travelling with one of the Stat Trainers) and one of the wild Pokémon has or gains Arena Trap and then faints, the Ability still takes effect, preventing fleeing from the remaining Pokémon, displaying the message "The wild Bad Egg prevents escape with Arena Trap!"

Does anyone know how this is actually possible?

From the relevant articles for Eterna Forest, Iron Island, Stark Mountain, Wayward Cave, Victory Road I couldn't find any wild Pokémon with the ability (which is unlucky as if Magneton with Magnet Pull was available on Iron Island for instance that might suffice).

So I thought about whether you could Skill Swap Arena Trap or Magnet Pull. Possibly not because Trapinch, Wynaut, Wobbuffet, Magnemite, Magneton, Diglett, Dugtrio can't learn that move or Metronome in Generation IV.

Because none of the partner Trainer's Pokémon have that ability or Skill Swap/Role Play either it's been making me wonder how you could do this?

Perhaps it could be done with a Rage glitch Pokémon.

Re: Arena Trap flee glitch (Platinum)

Date: 2018-04-13 18:13:54
Successfully got a Dugtrio with Skill Swap with Mimic Transform Rage glitch using Rage, Skill Swap Smeargle and a Ditto so it is possible, but the Arena Trap flee glitch is not working for some reason…

Edit: I did it!!!

Looks like you've got to KO the other Pokémon, not the one with Arena Trap.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Kqgqqvy.png[/img]

Edit 2: It looks like the bug is that the game always regards the right-most wild Pokémon as the one with Arena Trap as it's not working if the left-most slot is blank and the right-most is the one with the Arena Trap (it said "Floatzel" instead of "Bad Egg").

Posted by: RETIRE
Date: 2018-04-15 10:40:01
as I commented on your video, arena trap can have more interesting interactions. If you go into safari zone with glitched partnermode (which is received from using RETIRE in amity square, then leaving the area) and your first pokemon has arena trap, then if you get a glitchbattle in which the enemy pokemon use 'flee', the game simply softlocks. I don't know if this can also happen with roaming pokemon that use flee, but I'd say give it a test :)

Date: 2018-04-15 16:27:11

as I commented on your video, arena trap can have more interesting interactions. If you go into safari zone with glitched partnermode (which is received from using RETIRE in amity square, then leaving the area) and your first pokemon has arena trap, then if you get a glitchbattle in which the enemy pokemon use 'flee', the game simply softlocks. I don't know if this can also happen with roaming pokemon that use flee, but I'd say give it a test :)

That's interesting. Thanks!

May do this when I eventually experiment with RETIRE.

What is the behaviour in normal circumstances for a fleeing Pokémon trapped by Arena Trap by the way? It seems like it would prevent fleeing with no issues but have never been in that situation (have only trapped them with Mean Look and similar).

Posted by: RETIRE
Date: 2018-04-17 11:37:55
I personally haven't tested it and am busy routing some stuff, I can test when I am done with it, hopefully. also the glitchbattles with amity square have been confirmed on hardware by other testers, unlike some other glitches here.

I could give you an updated route for RETIRE menu that gives the option to disable the pal park menu from the overworld by entering and leaving the pal park, which I wrote a while ago for fun. the old route has an autorun script when you try to enter the pal park building, which is because a flag is checked for having left pal park. But, you can activate this autorun in the void without losing the menu to get around it.
This also gives two sideeffects, being you can instantly box migrated pokemon and get a free berry (the berry can be given infintiely) :3

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2018-07-31 22:08:43
I have nothing to contribute here, but this is cool af lol