Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation IV Glitch Discussion

Instant boxing glitch and first method to encounter an enemy DPbox - Page 1

Instant boxing glitch and first method to encounter an enemy DPbox

Posted by: RETIRE
Date: 2018-07-31 09:44:31
After a small vacationbreak I'm back to cover some more new gen 4 related tech.
I'd like to thank Charmy for helping me researching the possibility of transfering glitchpokémon using this glitch,
he was a big help.

The instant boxing glitch makes use of mapscripts to trick the game into transfering migrated Pokémon without
actually ever capturing them in Pal Park.

To explain it, I made a video which goes very in depth:

https://youtu.be/WPIV0-SM4X4

For people unable to watch it, here's a technical explanation behind the glitch.

When we enter Pal Park outdoor's map a mapscript is ran that sets a couple of flags.

Pal Park indoor also runs mapscripts, with a check for one of the flags set in Pal Park.
If this flag is set, the game will then load a function that will make you able to box your Pokémon.

But, there are three different ways of leaving the Outdoor map with only a single one that should
allow the player to box the Pokémon.

When leaving with the Warp / RETIRE menu you shouldn't be able to box Pokémon,
for these two instances the flag is changed again.

When capturing all 6 the flag isn't altered, meaning you're allowed to box the Pokémon.
We can exploit this, since in the void you can enter Outdoor Pal Park (sets flag) and then Indoor Pal Park
which will run the mapscript and allow you to box your pokémon without capturing them.

So what can this be used for?

1) -Encountering a DPbox on the enemy side

DPbox is a Pokémon usually only existing out of 00 bytes, and can be encountered on the ally side
using glitched Partnermode or pomeg glitch. If you've read my alt-RETIRE post, you know that we can write
grasstiles in the void. If you do the instant boxing glitch, the Pokémon are copied from a portion of RAM to boxes, leaving 00 bytes.
For some reason their location in the encountertable is NOT wiped. This is important since usually you can't encounter DPbox in Pal Park since it doesn't have an assigned location. Since the location of the migrated Pokémon isn't wiped, we can now encounter 6 DPbox in the void in Pal Park battles. We can even capture them, but they won't show up in your box.

2) Forced boxing with full boxes
If you have all your boxes filled you usually can't participate in the Pal Park minigame since it gives a warning that your boxes are full.
When using the instant boxing glitch you skip the warning, meaning you can box migrated Pokémon with full boxes. Where do they go?
Well, they dissapear entirely. This is most likely intentional behaviour to prevent overflows or crashes.

3) The possibility to transfer glitchpokémon and bad eggs.
When I discovered the glitch, Charmy was so kind to help me research the possibility to transfer glitchpokémon.
By now we've established that Pokémon indexes higher than intended don't have an assigned location (or in DPbox's case, index 00).
We also know that we can skip the capturing, so naturaly we had to test if we could box glitchpokémon using this.
And as expected, they were boxed without any issue, no encounters required.
The only issue is that we have no proof that you can transfer them via the migration proces, since we had no way to test this in an efficient manor ourselves. Instead we injected thrash into the Pal Park RAM directly, and these did get boxed.

All of what was listed above can be seen in the video too.

Re: Instant boxing glitch and first method to encounter an enemy DPbox

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-07-31 10:36:48
I saw your video. Amazing work, you and Charmy!

So I wonder if there's a way to legitimately force glitch Pokémon (other than —–) in the Pal Park data?

Date: 2018-07-31 10:40:03

I saw your video. Amazing work, you and Charmy!

So I wonder if there's a way to legitimately force glitch Pokémon (other than —–) in the Pal Park data?

Gues time will tell, I will certainly try to find any that will transfer, if it's not possible then that's quite unfortunate.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-07-31 10:58:39
When you erase your save file with Up+Select+B does it fill the Pal Park Pokémon buffers with 00 or FF? I wonder whether you could get glitch Pokémon which show in the boxes that way.

Date: 2018-07-31 11:26:36

When you erase your save file with Up+Select+B does it fill the Pal Park Pokémon buffers with 00 or FF? I wonder whether you could get glitch Pokémon which show in the boxes that way.

Interesting question, I'd assume it overwrites it with 00's since I've never seen any glitchpokemon in my boxes, but the only way to be sure would be to test that with a wiped savefile and not resetting the console until you've done the glitch

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2018-07-31 22:40:18
Oh my God, this is ridiculously thorough. I don't have much else to say on this, but it's the first step forward in Gen 4 glitch Pokémon species in forever, and possibly a useful exploit for other purposes too. Wonderful video style too. Just great work all around.

Date: 2018-07-31 22:44:22

Oh my God, this is ridiculously thorough. I don't have much else to say on this, but it's the first step forward in Gen 4 glitch Pokémon species in forever, and possibly a useful exploit for other purposes too. Wonderful video style too. Just great work all around.

Thank you so much ^°^

Posted by: Npo
Date: 2018-08-02 11:45:15

3) The possibility to transfer glitchpokémon and bad eggs.
When I discovered the glitch, Charmy was so kind to help me research the possibility to transfer glitchpokémon.
By now we've established that Pokémon indexes higher than intended don't have an assigned location (or in DPbox's case, index 00).
We also know that we can skip the capturing, so naturaly we had to test if we could box glitchpokémon using this.
And as expected, they were boxed without any issue, no encounters required.
The only issue is that we have no proof that you can transfer them via the migration proces, since we had no way to test this in an efficient manor ourselves. Instead we injected thrash into the Pal Park RAM directly, and these did get boxed.

All of what was listed above can be seen in the video too.

This is a really cool find! I am interested in testing to see if we can transfer glitch Pokemon from gen 3 over to gen 4 using this method, I have tried to migrate different glitch Pokemon before but the migration menu seems to have checks in place to prevent that. If you try to select a Pokemon with an invalid species id it will state something like "this Pokemon is prohibited from migrating." and won't let you pick it. Are there particular glitch Pokemon that we know of that will allow you to migrate?

Date: 2018-08-02 13:01:37
This is a really cool find! I am interested in testing to see if we can transfer glitch Pokemon from gen 3 over to gen 4 using this method, I have tried to migrate different glitch Pokemon before but the migration menu seems to have checks in place to prevent that. If you try to select a Pokemon with an invalid species id it will state something like "this Pokemon is prohibited from migrating." and won't let you pick it. Are there particular glitch Pokemon that we know of that will allow you to migrate?

We haven't found any, only reference we had is an old article that stated a particular decamark passed, I'm hoping to figure out it's ID.

Posted by: Tabbender
Date: 2018-08-08 06:07:19
That's amazing. Too bad we can't keep it though.

Also sadly i don't think we'll ever be able to transfer glitch pokemon other than 0x0000. The game checks if the pokemon are valid when you select them via the transfer option prior to loading your save file. So unless there's a way to trigger this script while bypassing the check… we're stuck.

Date: 2018-08-08 11:46:19

That's amazing. Too bad we can't keep it though.

Also sadly i don't think we'll ever be able to transfer glitch pokemon other than 0x0000. The game checks if the pokemon are valid when you select them via the transfer option prior to loading your save file. So unless there's a way to trigger this script while bypassing the check… we're stuck.

maybe if you could send a pokemon over with invalid checksums that will become  a bad egg over time it could be possible

Posted by: Tabbender
Date: 2018-08-09 06:15:43
Unsure. Pokemon with an invalid checksum are turned into Bad Eggs in gen 3 as well, and you cant' transfer eggs.