Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation IV Glitch Discussion

Glitchbattles caused by Partners - Page 1

Glitchbattles caused by Partners

Posted by: RETIRE
Date: 2018-08-22 11:42:50
As I recently posted under my 'wrongwarp' article, using these Wrongwarps you can desync savedata and
the location you spawn at when resetting the game.

Using this mechanic I was able to have a Partner, when save resetting I'd still have the partner with me,
although I would spawn at the location I wrote the wrongwarp to.

As always  I made a video of all the finds, and added in all the glitchbattles too (it's quite long)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaxCAIWWWwY

So how do I pull this off?
First I do the Union room Wrongwarp, doing this causes me to warp 65536 tiles too far in the Pokémon center's top floor void.
This places me in the void, 6500 steps (rougly 405 bytes) above mapdata. The important thing to know is that when you wrongwarp like this,
a mapscript wasn't ran. Because of this the game will try to warp us to the Pokémon center when resetting the game, except the bytes it uses for this were never updated with the correct warpdata for the Pokemoncenter.

Not only that, these bytes are also used for Explorer Kit locations, elevator locations and also some other less important areas.
In order to save with partners, then reset to warp to somewhere I have to do a Union room Wrongwarp, then update the bytes with an elevator warp,
then get a partner and save reset. this will put me at the warp location of the elevator I used.

Now that I can get a partner anywhere, there are a couple of important factors to take into account here.
The first is that partners are usually assigned using a flag. The flag tell the game that you have a Partner following,
and usually while setting the flag it simultaneously writes the battle data of that partner into RAM. There's one exception to this,
being the Amity Square Partners. These set the flag, but never update the portion of RAM the game writes the battle data to.

The battle data for partners actually never get wiped (unless resetting console) upon removing a partner, only the flag is changed. This means you can load a Partner into RAM, then get an Amity  Square partner and you'll have the battle data of the Partner previously used.

The bigger thing is that if there's no Partner loaded, battling causes glitchbattles to occur.
Most of them are tutorial battles, mixed with a different battle'type'. The battles happen depending on your ASLR, so if you reset your game you will most likely get different results than last time.

For example, you have a normal tutorial, a tutorial with a safari zone overlay, a tutorial that is simultaneously a Wifi battle,
even a battle that completely overwrites RAM when entered.

Next to that there's the fact that there's no doublebattle encountertable for battles on water. The game does prevent surfing,
and the usage of bikes to tweak. Luckely, it doesn't prevent you from getting a bike from a bikestall. Once we get on our bike we
tweak onto water. Once we enter a baytle we meet the glitchpokemon Dpbox, also known as '—–', invisible shiny bulbasaur and MissigNo of gen 4.

Here are some results you can pull off
[img]https://i.imgur.com/SC7EXH1.png[/img]  [img]https://i.imgur.com/T8GViuw.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/4RgkYD1.png[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/uUVh1aj.png[/img]  [img]https://i.imgur.com/VRPJTSm.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/LVBuVAu.png[/img]

There's currently no known way to capture the Pokémon, since because there's no encountertable its empty, meaning the
DPbox is purely made out of 00's. Id of 00, 0 current health, no moves (struggle), you get the point.

Furthermore it is possible to get the doublebattles in the safari zone too, and the cool thing about this is that the game counts a 'loss' as
running out of balls in the safari zone. therefore you leave the safari zone with only dead Pokémon.

Re: Glitchbattles caused by Partners

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-08-22 16:47:13
Amazing as always! :)

So do you think there's no possible way to change the —– to a different glitch Pokémon? :( Though it seems unlikely would be interesting if you could use this or another glitch to have a Generation IV hybrid on the user's side.

Date: 2018-08-22 17:13:26

Amazing as always! :)

So do you think there's no possible way to change the —– to a different glitch Pokémon? :( Though it seems unlikely would be interesting if you could use this or another glitch to have a Generation IV hybrid on the user's side.

Well if there's one thing I've noticed from my time glitching in gen 4 is that the developers almost never made the game clear RAM when its no longer needed. If it reads from data that can be written to its very likely you can make a Pokémon show up. I'm currently playing around with doing Wifi battles before having the tutorial + wifi battletype hoping some leftover data can be used, even if its just for the playersprites when losing the fight.

Posted by: Tabbender
Date: 2018-08-29 07:42:43
Is it possible to take Battle Tower partners outside of the BT using this ?

Date: 2018-08-29 11:23:41
From testing I'm fairly certain that despite showing in battle, they're not actually partners outside that.
It's more of a scripted battle, same goes for the battle with barry at spear pillar.

Date: 2018-08-29 12:28:29
But isn't their data saved into the partner battle data ?

Date: 2018-08-29 13:07:19
It should be unrelated to the Partners themselves

Date: 2018-08-29 13:14:45
Well they do show up in battle and fight alongside you like partners do, so it would make sense for their battle data to be stored at the same place in battle… and since you said data in gen 4 almost never gets wiped, wouldn't it be possible to make the game use their in-battle data anywhere using this glitch ?

Date: 2018-08-29 19:26:09
Well not as an actual partner no, as I said the battletower ones don't utilise the flag to give you a partner, they're scripted battles. Its possible it has some kinda influence on the wifi battles if you do those afterwards, although I doubt it'd be anything useful

Posted by: bwill11
Date: 2019-07-28 16:46:44
In RETIRE's video on this, it says that the effects are dependent on your ASLR, and that there are "64 different seeds / type of console". what does "/ type of console" refer to?

Date: 2019-08-01 03:32:53
This post is way outdated, I'll update at some point.