Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation IV Glitch Discussion

Gen IV data corruption by transferring Gen III glitch moves through Pal Park? - Page 1

Gen IV data corruption by transferring Gen III glitch moves through Pal Park?

Posted by: Zowayix001
Date: 2019-05-21 20:49:24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du5_Zax8z6k

This video from 2011 popped up in my recommended feed (original discoverer HPokeNg), and mentions a way to corrupt data in Gen IV by first having Smeargle Sketch a glitch move in Gen III, then transferring through Pal Park and calling the move via Assist (since apparently looking at the type of the now-Gen IV move is enough to freeze the game). In the video, the move causes several very strange effects to occur in a row, such as Leech Seed draining the user's own HP to heal the user's own HP (complete with glitched animation since the user and target of Leech Seed are the same). After the battle, the user of the move is holding a Master Ball and has its second move deleted, indicating some kind of runaway data corruption.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Any interesting directions this could go in? (Obviously the most interesting thing would be if this could trigger ACE, but there's no proof that this can occur yet.)

Re: Gen IV data corruption by transferring Gen III glitch moves through Pal Park?

Posted by: RETIRE
Date: 2019-05-22 02:26:01
Ganix dumped the effects of that move and it simply overwrites battle data with a ton of 0x24 bytes, and some other thrash, but it is ran from nonmanipulable areas in ram. We have way more promising stuff for ACE in the works tho.

There is no data corruption at all, the reason you hold a masterball is bcs it set held item in battle to 01, all other 3 pokémon (if you have a double battle) would have 0x24, which I think was quick powder?

Re: Gen IV data corruption by transferring Gen III glitch moves through Pal Park?

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-05-22 07:16:51

bcs it set held item in battle to 01, all other 3 pokémon (if you have a double battle) would have 0x24, which I think was quick powder?
wouldn't that be data corruption of in-battle held items, then…?

Posted by: Zowayix001
Date: 2019-05-22 14:24:49

Ganix dumped the effects of that move and it simply overwrites battle data with a ton of 0x24 bytes, and some other thrash, but it is ran from nonmanipulable areas in ram. We have way more promising stuff for ACE in the works tho.

There is no data corruption at all, the reason you hold a masterball is bcs it set held item in battle to 01, all other 3 pokémon (if you have a double battle) would have 0x24, which I think was quick powder?
Genuinely curious: What does a non-manipulatable area in RAM mean? I thought that the moment you can get the program counter to point to RAM, you have arbitrary code execution.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-05-22 17:37:09
Simply a part of RAM that can't be manipulated. Not all of it is what items you're carrying, what map you're in, the stats of your team, or things you can change on a whim. It could be your overworld sprite, the current tileset, padding bytes in the save file to bump it up to the right size…just about anything. You have code execution the moment you start up the game, but only arbitrary code execution when you can tell it what to do.