Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation IV Glitch Discussion

Pal Park and Gen III Pomeg Glitch (D/P/PL) - Page 1

Pal Park and Gen III Pomeg Glitch (D/P/PL)

Posted by: Reclaimer Shawn
Date: 2019-05-30 22:36:33
I've thought about getting a DS and sending over a couple of things I've used the Pomeg Glitch to get in-game. If I were to glitch in a Pokemon with an ID of 0x1ED, could I migrate that to Pal Park and catch an Arceus there? I know I can already get Arceus via the Void Glitch, but if you can you could potentially use glitches to get any shiny pokemon you want into Gen 4.

Re: Pal Park and Gen III Pomeg Glitch (D/P/PL)

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-05-30 23:03:15
On an only somewhat-related topic, for DS stuff, invest in an R4 or other SLOT-1 flashcart. Maybe a SLOT-2 later if you get a DS with the GBA slot but that's not imperative if you have a good SLOT-1 cart.

Doing so allows for easy save edits (no cart dongles and sketchy chinese Windows reflash programs!) and cheats and freeloading (please only use games you have in cart form, something something piracy bad?) and homebrew and…

there's just no reason not to really… just makes things so much easier.

Wait, do the first few GBA-compatible DS models support GBx carts? If so it'd be trivial to write SLOT-1 homebrew to pull Gen 1/2 Pokemon into Gen 4 or higher from legit carts, entirely eliminating the Gen 2-to-3 trade gap!

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-05-30 23:07:04
I don't know offhand, as common a question as that probably is…but intuitively I'd assume they'd be treated the same as Eggs. Metarkrai said here that no Decamarks can be transferred, but I don't know any further details.

A DS with two slots has always been my preferred method of backing up and transferring GBA save files, though.

Posted by: Reclaimer Shawn
Date: 2019-05-30 23:24:16

On an only somewhat-related topic, for DS stuff, invest in an R4 or other SLOT-1 flashcart.

Seeing as how cheap they are (I'm seeing them for $7-15) I'll probably make that investment. I'll just need to find one from a trusted vendor.

Metarkrai said here that no Decamarks can be transferred, but I don't know any further details.

If that's the case that's a real shame. That would've been awesome if it worked. I'll still probably try just to make sure, though.
You guys respond to my threads pretty quickly. I like that about these forums.

Posted by: Matt1990
Date: 2019-05-31 06:54:29
I'm not 100000% sure but as far as I remember event items need to be "triggered", thus just owning the item won't be enough. But yeah, trying never hurts, you may run into unexpected results. Also, remember to always backup your save files before toying with those things!
Sadly I can't find my old R4 anymore, otherwise I would've shipped you it as I don't have a working DS in my hands for now, but they're fairly cheap and even though you might get a "crappy one" it would still support save dumping and injecting

Wait, do the first few GBA-compatible DS models support GBx carts? If so it'd be trivial to write SLOT-1 homebrew to pull Gen 1/2 Pokemon into Gen 4 or higher from legit carts, entirely eliminating the Gen 2-to-3 trade gap!

Nah, they don't. That's a feature that has been dropped since GBA Micro

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-05-31 07:26:38

Nah, they don't. That's a feature that has been dropped since GBA Micro
DAMMIT

I'm not 100000% sure but as far as I remember event items need to be "triggered", thus just owning the item won't be enough. But yeah, trying never hurts, you may run into unexpected results.
Yeah, they need the trigger too.
Also, remember to always backup your save files before toying with those things!
Yup.

Sadly I can't find my old R4 anymore, otherwise I would've shipped you it as I don't have a working DS in my hands for now, but they're fairly cheap and even though you might get a "crappy one" it would still support save dumping and injecting
RIP
also I can recommend a specific one that isn't a timebomb and supports all the standard features. It's like $20-40 depending on where you get it. it's actually a good one, so…

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-05-31 15:46:54

Metarkrai said here that no Decamarks can be transferred, but I don't know any further details.

If that's the case that's a real shame. That would've been awesome if it worked. I'll still probably try just to make sure, though.
You guys respond to my threads pretty quickly. I like that about these forums.
Thanks! Really, we just happened to be online, and it was better when the regulars in the Pomeg sub-glitch thread were still active, but they've probably said everything that needs to be said by this point.

If you plan to get an original DS you can test it out for yourself without worrying about save data, but if you want to give me some details (screenshots, how you obtained it, basically anything aside from just having a 1ED Decamark) I can try replicating your setup to see what happens if you try to transfer it. Not that I'm counting on much, but still, somehow it hasn't been formally confirmed.

Posted by: Orcastraw
Date: 2020-04-21 16:02:16
Ah, hi! So upon testing Pal Park and decamarks, I found that there's a bug specific to 1.0 of the japanese version of Diamond & Pearl, that allows for the importing of some decamarks. Upon accessing Pal Park, the game seems to run a conversion to identify the Pokemon it's viewing, as, the internal IDs for Pokemon are not the same at all for Gens 3 & 4. Bulbapedia has the lists here  and here to compare. Gen 3 has an oddity in its internal list, where its ordering starts out following National Dex numbers for IDs, however once it gets to the end of Johto, it has 25 empty slots for decamarks before it gets to Hoenn. Starting from 00xFC to 01x14, or 252 to 276, the game has these strange holes in the IDs, and on Japanese 1.0 of DP, Pal Park falls back to the Gen 4 list of IDs for these Pokemon, rather than converting them. This results in it not identifying them as decamarks, instead treating them as the first 25 Hoenn Pokemon.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/rs7Jffn.png[/img]

The Pokemon imported act normal, or as you'd expect, and nothing out of the ordinary is evident from them, given their data is changed to be congruent with a normal Hoenn Pokemon.
On any other version of the game, it will properly label these as decamarks, and for that matter, label anything out of the boundary for the Hoenn IDs as also being a Decamark, so going one National Dex entry above the final Hoenn Pokemon doesn't give you a Turtwig or anything.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/pSrDVCb.png[/img]

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-04-24 06:34:26
Cool find. :) How do glitch moves work by the way re: transferring them to Generation IV/do any convert into Generation IV moves? I remember you can do interesting things by calling them with Assist.