Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation IV Glitch Discussion

Why KADABRA evolves during trades also holding the Everstone? - Page 1

Why KADABRA evolves during trades also holding the Everstone?

Posted by: Halfshadow
Date: 2020-05-05 13:46:44
Hi, I'm curious to see why. In the pokémon structure seems that there aren't difference with Machoke, Graveler and Haunter. But is the only one of the 4 that evolves also if holds the stone. Why this glitch?

Re: Why KADABRA evolves during trades also holding the Everstone?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-05-05 15:35:24
It's odd isn't it. I don't know why, either. If it's not related to Kadabra's data, the glitch may be in the effect of the Everstone itself, so it may be worth checking in one of the disassemblies. Perhaps there is the check for Kadabra's trade evolution but the game never runs the code properly.

Re: Why KADABRA evolves during trades also holding the Everstone?

Posted by: Tabbender
Date: 2020-07-25 05:50:56
Gen 4 introduced both this bug and a bunch of item-reliant trade evolutions (Magmarizer, Dubious Disc, Reaper Cloth, Protector, Electirizer). Maybe Alakazam's evolution was supposed to be item-reliant as well at some point but then they scrapped that and basically programmed it to disregard the item it's holding entirely? I feel like that points to Kadabra's evolution mechanic being different from the others somehow.