Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation V Glitch Discussion

Game breaking glitch - Page 1

Game breaking glitch

Posted by: PokeGlitchFanatic
Date: 2014-06-10 20:02:44
I was experimenting with pokemon black(trying to tweak, shiny hunting, the normal.) and i flew to driftveil city becauae i got bored. The game lagged on the fly animation and it turned pink. It was weird. I jammed to the Driftveil theme, and took four steps left. The game's screen turned completely black, and no buttons worked. I pried the cartridge out, and put it back. My save file for the game was gone, and the new game button was discolored and wouldn't work. Had to get a new cartridge! Anybody know anything?(i have never used any cheating devices.)

Re: Game breaking glitch

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2014-06-11 03:36:26
Hotswapping something that's not designed to be hotswapped often leads to the bad kind of undefined behavior. Protip: don't fuck with a live circuit.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-06-11 11:12:22
That's very odd. Do you remember where you were before you flew to Driftveil City? I could try repeating it. It could be a random cartridge reading problem I suppose. My Pokémon Black has no sort of 'the cartridge is ejected' message, unlike other Nintendo DS games.

Also, which DS/3DS system were you using? I'm asking just in case that has anything to do with it.

Date: 2014-06-11 19:28:04
It might have been the fact that i used an old ds that is my "glitcher." I don't cheat on it, but i pull off tweaking and other glitches on it. Its 3 years old, but its never had a problem. I just dont want to screw with my 3ds game controller by spamming arrow keyes. I did a few wild battles before flying, and something weird did happen. I went into a battle with Crystal, my fabulous Serviper. It wqs the only one in my party, and i went in dark grass. A double battle engaged with a normal pokemon and a ?. I was freaked out, so i ran from it and flew to driftveil. Could either of these have affected it? (Also, i dont screw with circuits or change batteries, for that matter. ) Does the internal battery run dry and corrupt games like it did previously?

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2014-06-12 03:54:35
DS game cards don't have internal batteries, as they have flash memory instead of SRAM and the DS has an internal real-time clock, thus rendering them unneeded.

Date: 2014-06-14 09:17:43
Ah.

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-06-14 12:07:26
Are you sure the cartridge is real? Did you buy it from a game store?  :o

Date: 2014-06-14 14:20:36
Yep. Bought it new at GameStop a while back.

Posted by: Duelist Of Roses
Date: 2018-06-30 17:12:08
I think your cartridge just was old and stopped working. Since all digital data is stored as electricity in the hardware, having the storage area could corrupt it. Also, the coding is stored in the cartridge too. So it must have gotten damaged. If you were careful with it, it was probably just old. Otherwise, you might have accidentally broken it.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-07-01 06:41:14
1. Please do NOT bump threads. There's a big red box telling you not to when you're posting. Doing this is against the forum rules, so it may warrant warnings and/or a ban. Do this at your own risk, but you have been warned.

2. The "coding" is stored in ROM, which cannot be modified and decays very, very slowly. So unless the cartridge stayed in water, is should be intact. More likely to be a malfunction in circuitry, or something.