Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation V Glitch Discussion

Generation IV and V Trade Cloning (without GTS) - Page 1

Generation IV and V Trade Cloning (without GTS)

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2015-04-19 10:08:27
Hello everyone,

I haven't seen any thread discussing trade cloning in Generation IV. I guess the reason why this method was never really investigated was that GTS Cloning is easier and can be done with one game only.

Unfortunately GTS service on Nintendo DS is now close. Therefore I have been working on that cloning method for my website, and will publish it soon (I'd like to try in Generation V also). So for those of you still playing Gen IV, here is my work on this :

If you don't know trade cloning, it's the method used to clone in Gen I and VI, and involves two games on two consoles, and interrupting the trade process between the two by shutting down one of the console. I tried every timing and every way to do this and I can say these are the most successful parameters I know :

Here are important observations you need to read, and I'm still working on this so any contribution will be a good thing :

Have you ever done this glitch ? If you have any useful informations for me, I'll take them gladly. Otherwise, if you are interessed, I invite you to test this and see what you get  ;)

Edit : trade cloning works in Gen V, see below

Re: Generation IV Trade Cloning (without GTS)

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2015-04-19 11:26:30
Hmm, so it's pretty much the same thing as Gen 6. Bulbapedia says it's common to corrupt save data, but that sounds like speculation. I've cloned hundreds of pokémon in Y with this trade method and it is safe. I'm pretty sure it works on Gen 5, but it was barely researched at all since DNS abuse was already a thing. Thanks for doing this. :)

Re: Generation IV Trade Cloning (without GTS)

Date: 2015-04-19 12:43:41
Well within the week I must have done 50-60 trys, and I lost no save file so I really thing that corruption thing is very unlikely and yes most probably an incorrect assumption.

Or I was incredibly lucky !

Re: Generation IV and V Trade Cloning (without GTS)

Date: 2015-04-20 14:11:49
Aaaand I just cloned a Reshiram using a Black & White version. The timing seems to be half a turn. Sometimes it seems the clock starts "before" 0 turn. Since I only cloned once so far, I don't know how important it is. I need to further investigate on this but I just wanted to report that it works.

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2015-04-20 14:19:23

Aaaand I just cloned a Reshiram using a Black & White version. The timing seems to be half a turn. Sometimes it seems the clock starts "before" 0 turn. Since I only cloned once so far, I don't know how important it is. I need to further investigate on this but I just wanted to report that it works.

Nice! So is Gen 3 really the only gen without any sort of trade-interruption cloning? That's impressive.

Date: 2015-04-20 15:31:38
It has been very easy to clone in Emerald using the battle frontier, I don't think it was further investigated if we can trade-clone. In my free time, I will try to do it :)

Date: 2015-04-23 05:39:41
Timing for Gen V games appear to be "right after the end of the trade animation, at the beginning of the Communication text".

This is very short, and very hard to do. Here is how the game behave :

- You want to clone the pokemon on game 1. Start the trade with game 1, shut down game 1.

- Too early (shutting down during the animation) : game 2 will display a communication error. Press A to be back in the union room, but you will still have pokemon 2. Game 1 will start in front of the union room entrance, and still have pokemon 1.
- Too late (until 2-3/8th of the Communication clock) : game 2 will display a communication error AND ask you to shut down the game. When restarted, you will either be in front of the union room entrance, or see the player exiting it. He will always have pokemon 1. Game 1 will either start in front of the union room entrance, or you will see the player exiting it. He will always have pokemon 2.
- Very late (after 3/8th) :  game 2 will display a communication error. Press A to be back in the union room, and you will have pokemon 1. Game 1 will start in front of the union room entrance, and now have pokemon 2.

- Correct timing (between the first two) : game 2 will display a communication error. Press A to be back in the union room, and you will have pokemon 1. Game 1 will start in front of the union room entrance, and now have a clone of pokemon 1. This is the only configuration that works.

Yeah, I succeeded twice in 30-40 trys. It sucks it's so hard but if you really need to clone you super-rare event pokemons, you will be patient enough  :P

I'm still trying to do it in B2/W2 and also the gen IV method for Platinum/HG/SS, although I'm sure it will work.

Date: 2015-06-05 16:05:32
BTW, some dude made a video for Gen IV trade cloning :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrXXjtzz5UA&t=11m

Language is french but you will understand. Successful try is around 11:00.

I will try to make one for Gen V