Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation V Glitch Discussion

Transferring data from Gen 2 to Gen 5? - Page 1

Transferring data from Gen 2 to Gen 5?

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2015-06-03 11:08:11
CGB has an IR Port.

Gen 5 Carts have an IR Port.

Transferring data from Gen 2 to Gen 5 confirmed?

(In all honesty, it probably isn't possible, but you never know…)

Re: Transferring data from Gen 2 to Gen 5?

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2015-06-03 14:27:55
Well, there is a way but it's not by IR.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ILhyYIjArYLimeWEUJvSa0BsCnB5k706MWN2Pa7fA9c/edit

Posted by: Háčky
Date: 2015-06-03 21:15:05
I dont have a Gen V game and know nothing about its IR protocol, but my bet would be that its technically possible. It may also be possible to emulate the Pokéwalkers IR communication with HeartGold/SoulSilver. Now Im tempted to go buy stuff.

The game Mission: Impossible included a function to use the GBCs IR port as a TV remote control, so at the very least it should be possible to do that with Gen II arbitrary code execution. (Edit: Or non-Japanese versions of Yellow, since they run in CGB mode.)

Date: 2015-06-04 10:43:41
You can't do anything with HG/SS Pokéwalker, because Sanqui said that HG/SS only sends video data to the Pokéwalker, and not actual Pokémon data. The actual Pokémon data is saved for when the Pokémon returns.

I'm not so sure that you could transfer Gen 2 Data to Gen 5 because the Pokémon Data Structure for Gen 5 is unknown. Of course, if you can make something happen by using the GBC IR Function, that would be progress.

Posted by: Háčky
Date: 2015-06-04 19:50:06

You can't do anything with HG/SS Pokéwalker, because Sanqui said that HG/SS only sends video data to the Pokéwalker, and not actual Pokémon data. The actual Pokémon data is saved for when the Pokémon returns.

I knew that the Pokémon data is kept on the HG/SS side, but there are other possibilities.

I'm not so sure that you could transfer Gen 2 Data to Gen 5 because the Pokémon Data Structure for Gen 5 is unknown.

Hmm? You dont mean this data structure, do you?

Of course, if you can make something happen by using the GBC IR Function, that would be progress.

Its always been my goal in life to make something happen :P

Date: 2015-06-05 11:07:43
Ah, didn't check any other sites for the Gen 5 Structure. I only looked at Bulbapedia :P

By any chance, does anyone know what the Pokéwalker is coded in? (Most likely some sort of assembly language)

Posted by: 0ErrorYT
Date: 2018-02-06 19:21:55
Sorry for necrobumping, but I think this is very interesting. The data structure is definitely different, but if we can get gen 5 to accept the data as Pokemon data, it might cause weird glitches which I think would be really cool.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-02-07 02:52:51
Well, I don't know how works or what use Gen V's IR port have, but anyways ; it might be possible to send Pokémon via CGB homebrew.
I'm holding back because if the transfer rate is faster than what the CGB is capable of, then… lolnope

Not sure if there's documentation on the IR protocol.