Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation VI Glitch Discussion

Somebody found how to clone Pokémon and items in Pokémon X and Y - Page 1

Somebody found how to clone Pokémon and items in Pokémon X and Y

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-12-09 15:32:57
Mootypwns made a video on how to clone Pokémon and items in Pokémon X and Y.

I haven't tried it myself but apparently after trading away the Pokémon you want to clone, either over local wireless or Wi-Fi if you turn off your 3DS about 4.5 seconds after the "Communicating. Please stand by…" message appears you will keep that Pokémon on your 3DS and the other player will receive it too, but you won't receive the other Pokémon and it will disappear on the original owner's 3DS.

Example: Say you trade a Mewtwo holding a Master Ball (player 1) for a Pidgey (player 2). You wait until the trade animation finishes and then the game says "Communicating. Please stand by…" on both games. You then turn the power off on player 1's 3DS about 4.5 seconds after the message appears. Apparently, you'll then get a blank screen on player 2's 3DS and if you didn't it probably didn't work properly. After restarting the game on player 1's 3DS you'll still have your Mewtwo holding a Master Ball but player 2 will have a Mewtwo holding a Master Ball too, but the Pidgey will disappear and not appear on both 3DSes.

I think this is how it works. Again, I haven't tested this myself. If I made an error, let me know.

Video here.

Re: Somebody found how to clone Pokémon and items in Pokémon X and Y

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2013-12-09 15:47:46
Too bad I only have one 3DS and one Gen6 game, otherwise I'd totally try this.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-12-10 12:59:02
Seems like Pokémon cloning in X and Y was done before. Apparently, Joeisbig did it by modifying an SD Card file just over a month ago and the method Mootypwns used was done by Dyon Tucker on November 25 and Nathan Anderson on November 29.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2013-12-14 22:20:07
This sounds like the same cloning glitch used in Pokemon D/P/Pt and vaguely like the one in Pokemon R/B/Y (that works via link cables).  Nintendo still hasn't worked out connectivity error/termination cloning?

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2013-12-15 14:21:48

This sounds like the same cloning glitch used in Pokemon D/P/Pt and vaguely like the one in Pokemon R/B/Y (that works via link cables).  Nintendo still hasn't worked out connectivity error/termination cloning?

I doubt they ever will. And even if they do, someone else will waltz right in and find another exploit.

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2013-12-15 14:48:43
I heard they fixed that cloning method via Wi-Fi (along with encrypting the data and thus sadly blocking Instacheck, but thank god, Battle Analyzer as well). I also heard somewhere that cloning WASN'T fixed, but I'd assume it wasn't fixed in infrared connection, since it's the main way cloning worked due to Wi-Fi being less known and reliable (static timing x chances of internet lag).

But even if they DID fix cloning via infrared, nothing stops you and the other person (assuming the other 3ds isn't yours) from downgrading the game, making the offline trade-clones and re-updating later for online interactions. My brother is going to buy himself a 3ds eventually, and I'll lend it for cloning Leftovers and MegaEvo game-exclusive items.

EDIT: On a somewhat-related note, the trade apparently happens after the animation, but wonder trades happen before it. (The following may not be exact) From what I saw while Wonder Trading using Instacheck, the game decides what will be traded away to you about 4 seconds before the chosen trainer shows up the lower screen, and the trade "happens" once they're shown there, before the animation. I found that when I was testing dc'ing before trades, while I knew the other poké that was coming to me. I once got late and had my poké traded away. The reason I'm saying this is that the proceedings the game take after the normal trade where you reset to clone, may be the very same the game takes before the wonder trades, and a late dc might have cloned my poké instead of canceling the trade like I intended, but I wouldn't know since that was a random person. And that cloning method wasn't aware back when I tried that.