Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation VI Glitch Discussion

Gen VI Glitch Moves - Page 1

Gen VI Glitch Moves

Posted by: lysandrepk
Date: 2016-08-14 07:58:23
I have found several hundred glitch moves in the Gen VI games, which are accessible via PowerSaves (if you have the device, of course.)

These animations range from random things like battle-starting animations, beta move animations & mega/primal evolutions (which turn your Pokémon, for the duration of the contest, into eggs.)

Tutorial: You can either go to my pastebin (http://pastebin.com/xjEW2Azw) or to my YouTube video (excuse my squeaky, unconfident 13 year old voice) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z_N11D_Ekw)

If you find anything cool, make sure to post here! I have currently found TWO interesting ones (of five I've tried), one being the Team Aqua battle start animation (which crashed the game) and another being the Draco Meteor animation with the Team Magma boss's battle animation going on at the exact same time. I can't remember the numbers for these, so RIP.

(I do not know if I discovered these, or if other people have tried this before me, but I found this out by myself)

Thanks for reading, and cya!

Re: Gen VI Glitch Moves

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-08-14 12:13:21
Have you tried using them in battle?

I've tried patching memory (using citra + gdbserver + IDAPython scripts) to screw about with the encounter table, mainly to figure out what causes the crash when sending 0xFFFF into battle; but I've failed so far. I need to patch the .cxi to add the latest version and try again, as I think the addresses I got won't work on v1.0.

Nice to see there's more Gen 6 research happening, anyway.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2016-08-14 16:34:30

mega/primal evolutions (which turn your Pokémon, for the duration of the contest, into eggs.)

I couldn't resist.

Date: 2016-08-14 17:49:48

I've tried patching memory (using citra + gdbserver + IDAPython scripts) to screw about with the encounter table, mainly to figure out what causes the crash when sending 0xFFFF into battle; but I've failed so far. I need to patch the .cxi to add the latest version and try again, as I think the addresses I got won't work on v1.0.

They all have 0 PP, no name and no description, one crashed the game when I used it in the battle, and the other 4 just said 'this move has no PP left!'

Date: 2016-08-14 19:24:37

They all have 0 PP, no name and no description, one crashed the game when I used it in the battle, and the other 4 just said 'this move has no PP left!'

Crashed the game how? Freeze or forced back to Home Menu?

I guess you tried using PP Ups on them?

What move index number crashed the game?

Date: 2016-08-15 06:02:02

Crashed the game how? Freeze or forced back to Home Menu?

I guess you tried using PP Ups on them?

What move index number crashed the game?

Forced back to home menu.

If you use PP Ups or PP Max, it'll say that it has no effect.

Since I at first didn't think this was gonna work (I tested them out in battles before contests) I didn't document index numbers, but for my future research I will :)

Date: 2016-08-15 07:40:47

Forced back to home menu.

Given that you're doing your research on real hardware, I'd go try it again, but with Luma CFW dev-branch running to get an exception handler with register-dumps etc.

But I guess your 3DS is running stock, and most likely 11.0, so you'd have to do awkward downgrading.

Date: 2016-08-15 11:43:46
I've got it homebrewed, but it is 11.0 so I'd have to downgrade to install it :l

Posted by: CytricAcid
Date: 2016-08-15 21:08:44
Have you tried using assist to use the moves indirectly to avoid the pp issue?

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-08-15 22:00:48

I didn't document index numbers, but for my future research I will :)

Couldn't you just… oh, I don't know… check the index with a save/hex editor? I assume that's how the glitch moves were injected in the first place…

I know fucking ZERO about this sort of thing (not owning a 3DS/2DS) but if what I know about DS(i) homebrew applies, then it should be trivial to retrieve the index…

Date: 2016-08-16 04:12:09

Couldn't you just… oh, I don't know… check the index with a save/hex editor? I assume that's how the glitch moves were injected in the first place…

I know fucking ZERO about this sort of thing (not owning a 3DS/2DS) but if what I know about DS(i) homebrew applies, then it should be trivial to retrieve the index…

PowerSaves is not a homebrew application, it is a similar device to an Action Replay (in which you input codes to affect your game, instead of editing a save on an SD card), and so I can't easily get all the numbers.

By the way, 900 is mega evolution.

Date: 2016-08-16 06:16:45

PowerSaves is not a homebrew application, it is a similar device to an Action Replay (in which you input codes to affect your game, instead of editing a save on an SD card), and so I can't easily get all the numbers.

You have homebrew on your 3DS, go dump the save using a homebrew application.

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-08-16 06:53:34

*ding*
THANK YOU

Date: 2016-08-16 10:06:10

Good idea, didn't think of that lol

Posted by: Jchu
Date: 2017-05-23 01:16:51
Several hundred? Wow, Nintendo. Just…wow.

…any move that's like 'attract' that makes same gender pokemon like you? :P Cuz, haha, that'd be fun to mess with.

The draco meteor one sound's neat too. I wonder why there's a glitch version of that. Were they thinking of making a better draco meteor type move in generation 6, only to ditch the idea?