Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Non-Core Game Glitch Discussion

Phantom Dittos in Pokemon Stadium 2? - Page 1

Phantom Dittos in Pokemon Stadium 2?

Posted by: Crystalame
Date: 2010-10-03 17:18:38
Recently I had downloaded a ROM for Pokemon Stadium 2 so I could play around with it and try to finish it. I loaded up my Silver file to it and went to Professor Oak's lab to see what my shinies looked like when I saw this…

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/snoletta/Junk/wth.png[/img]

For some reason, every box except for Box 1 is filled with these freaky, level 100 Dittos named 9999999999. All of them have PokeRus as well. They aren't holding anything as you can see from the picture. None of them are shiny.

Also, when I load up Silver and check the boxes on the actual game and not on Stadium 2, there are no Dittos. I haven't tried placing anything in the other boxes but I will edit my post when I do.

I'm sorry if this has been reported before, but I have never seen it anywhere else. Thanks!

Edit: Alright, I just tried putting Pokemon in that box. It "deleted" everything but Snorlax, but interestingly enough, the Snorlax is now level 100, same name as the Dittos, it has Pokerus and its only move is Detect with 8/8 PP. It is also holding TM05. It also has max stats. (max for Snorlax)

Re: Phantom Dittos in Pokemon Stadium 2?

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2010-10-03 20:42:34
Perhaps you have a bad clone in your boxes? This would explain you having the dittos - glitch pokemon are turned into dittos, but they were being cloaked on Silver by a bad clone.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-10-04 02:46:43
You have zero Pokémon in the box, but the game is attempting to display a full 0 (256) list of box Pokémon (although the game is only capable of visually denoting twenty 'slots' for each Pokémon). "9999999999" equates to identifier list "FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF", which is common in box Pokémon past those you actually own. These are going to be unstable Pokémon, likely with the wrong characteristics or ????? (most commonly FF) explaining why Stadium 2 denotes them as Ditto.

It might be just a common problem with emulated versions of Pokémon Stadium 2 if they are unable to detect the end of box data in Pokémon Stadium 2 for a box with 0 Pokémon (the games cannot physically manage zero, it instead uses 256 (2^8), there should be methods of terminating a list/process; compare this with the Cancel button, although if the emulator cannot perform these types of processes exactly, as they would in the real game when played on the N64 it is likely to cause problems). The Pokémon will be managed as level 100 if their total experience is too large (????? for example, or invalid Pokémon which tend to have massive amounts of total experience at low levels). You may have a few level 100+ 'Pokémon' past the (0th slot) there, which may have also been managed as level 100 instead.

The reason why adding Snorlax removed all of the Ditto is because Stadium 2 sensed that you no longer have 0/256 Pokémon but rather just 1 Pokémon, as Gold/Silver successfully added Snorlax to the list of Pokémon by terminating the Pokémon list (or adding the associated Cancel functions) at 'slot 2', which emulated Stadium 2 seems to cope with rather than when terminated at 'slot 1'.

Posted by: Crystalame
Date: 2010-10-04 03:21:30
I don't think I have a bad clone, no… Never did any cloning on the Silver rom in question.

Thanks Torchickens! That explains a lot, pretty cool to know too! :)

The fun part is that the Dittos weren't removed though, they were all there except one that was replaced. Hmm, I dunno.

EDIT: I tried my Red file as well. There were no Dittos which kind of makes me think my Silver file might have something wrong with the boxes.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-10-05 02:08:16

I don't think I have a bad clone, no… Never did any cloning on the Silver rom in question.

Thanks Torchickens! That explains a lot, pretty cool to know too! :)

The fun part is that the Dittos weren't removed though, they were all there except one that was replaced. Hmm, I dunno.

EDIT: I tried my Red file as well. There were no Dittos which kind of makes me think my Silver file might have something wrong with the boxes.

You're welcome.