Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Non-Core Game Glitch Discussion

Platform glitch in Citadark Isle [Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness] - Page 1

Platform glitch in Citadark Isle [Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness]

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2014-02-14 08:36:04
I'm on a two-week break from exams and real-life stuff, so I've recently taken up an interest in the Gamecube titles again. I've posted this on the Prof. Glitch temporary forums before, but maybe here there might be someone with more insight into the glitch.

It is quite an old and under-appreciated title, so I can understand why knowledge on this event would be scarce. But I have nothing better to do, and I would love nothing better in my glitching career than to get to the bottom of this mystery!  ;D

~~~~~

The glitch is a very odd one. It has been documented three times on YouTube, as well as being confirmed by several other YouTube members, so it is certain to be an observable phenomenon. However, close to nothing is known about how and why the glitch occurs.

The glitch takes place in a room in Citadark Isle where floating robotic platforms carry the player along. The platforms in this room normally move vertically so to transport the player to higher and lower levels of the room.

However, upon defeating a trainer named Cipher Peon Gromlet, they appear to sometimes glitch up and flash violently. A platform also appears below the player's feet, moving with him as he walks. Exiting the room cancels the glitch.

In addition, when the player walks around the room, the game may transport him automatically to various platforms. He may then walk over air, and in certain parts of the room, he may save in mid-air - and possibly explore areas outside the map!

I know that it may be difficult to visualise my description, so here are some videos of the glitch in action:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah69BFf7pSE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyRLs6BHv4Q

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Hlrdyk2iw

Luckily, the third video in particular is an extract from a "Let's play" of Pokemon XD. What this means is that we are able to analyse what the player did before triggering the glitch. Here is that video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hdosaT6NCI

If anyone here knows anything extra about this glitch, or about the platforms in general (i.e. how they work, what might interfere with their normal function etc.), I frankly could not begin to express my gratitude.  :P

Re: Platform glitch in Citadark Isle [Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness]

Date: 2014-02-27 14:40:46
I am now near 100% certain that the glitch at hand is caused by the presence of a Wailord in the team of Cipher Peon Gromlet.

-The only Wailord in the game is found in Gromlet's team.
-Gromlet is the only trainer to cause these glitchy effects.
-In Gromlet's team, only Wailord is unusual.

I feel very safe in saying that Wailord is the cause of the glitch. To me, it would seem that its vast size during battle may cause the game to mishandle other events (i.e. the platforms) upon ending the battle.

However, battling this Wailord does not always guarantee this result. Therefore, there must be something specific that must be done to this Wailord to cause the game to bug up the platforms.

Thankfully, as I've said, we have a minute of footage that shows a series of inputs that accidentally triggered the glitch. (From 4:00 to 5:00 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hdosaT6NCI)

I just don't know exactly what has triggered the glitch…

Posted by: MidnightNinetales
Date: 2014-03-06 15:15:12

-The only Wailord in the game is found in Gromlet's team.

Actually, I recall a Wailord in the team of one of the trainers on Mt. Battle, so Wailord might not be what causes the glitch.

Date: 2014-03-07 10:16:38
I did not realise that.  :(

However, I have a suspicion that I may still have been correct. It may be that Wailord's re-sizing of the field works to corrupt overworld processes such as the moving platforms. On the Mt. Battle stages, there is nothing that Wailord might interrupt or otherwise distort.

I have sent two Wailords to my XD: GoD via Emerald, and battling with them - including switching them in and out, fainting them, using various attacks on them - produced no strange effects at the Outskirt Stand.

All I'm saying is nothing but speculation, of course. The platform glitching may be the cause of any number of other things, such as previously checked flags, the particular moves used, the precise instant at which the platforms are moving before battle.

In fact, it could even be possible that the version/edition of the XD: GoD game may be a factor in the effect.  :o