Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Non-Core Game Glitch Discussion

Pokémon Stadium research topic - Page 1

Pokémon Stadium research topic

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2014-05-08 10:02:43
so.. I just did a little research in pokemon stadium.

It seems there exists at least one kiosk demo of Stadium, supposedly there's lots of differences between it and the final ROM bytewise.

…wow, some (most?) of the text in Stadium is in ASCII? :D

I can't do a lot of research right now, in the next few days I'll probably update this topic with various bits I discover.

Re: Pokémon Stadium research topic

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-05-08 10:31:26

It seems there exists at least one kiosk demo of Stadium, supposedly there's lots of differences between it and the final ROM bytewise.

Cool, that reminds me of the Nintendo DS kiosk demos if true. The Diamond and Pearl one wasn't just a timed game or one without its save feature.

I also had  a look at Japanese Stadium's text once, trying to find unused item text, but I couldn't, except for unused Safari Ball text. The text was in EUC-JP encoding.

Date: 2014-05-08 10:48:50

I also had  a look at Japanese Stadium's text once, trying to find unused item text, but I couldn't, except for unused Safari Ball text. The text was in EUC-JP encoding.

Are you referring to the original Japanese Stadium, or the one released internationally as Stadium (which was Stadium 2 in Japan)?

There might be some leftover EUC-JP text in the US Stadium, I did find what looked like debugging text. (and text that looked like it was to do with some kind of debug menu related to one of the features)

I should dump the text of both the Stadium RTM and kiosk demo.

Date: 2014-05-08 11:46:31
Pocket Monsters Stadium 2. Sorry for not being clear. I said Pocket Monsters Stadium here by mistake. I can't find items text in that version, only Pocket Monsters Stadium 2.

Incidentally my comment about the Japanese names of the badges is wrong. They have their final Japanese names. It's only 'item' index numbers 0x62-0x6A that use the unused badge names (except for 0x6A; GoldBadge but that is possibly a separate string)

Date: 2014-05-08 13:15:43
I just looked at the items list in the kiosk demo.

The two ????? items (surfboard, and the unusable one) have names that are completely blank (just a null terminator).

The badge items between Potion and Escape Rope are named as usual.

There are exactly 112 null terminators (read: 112 items with blank names) after Max Elixir's null terminator, and before HM01 (oddly, the HMs are HM1-HM5 here, not HM01-HM05 as in R/B/Y). Guess how many slots are between Max Elixir and HM01. :)

In another area, Super Glitch moves may actually be stable in Stadium, if they show up at all. (and the TM/HMxx moves would have different names there)

In theory, here are the move names after Struggle, assuming I haven't made a mistake anywhere (which I might have):

$A6: $FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF (that's 9 bytes of $FF: not sure what it'd show up as).
$A7: blank
$A8: blank
$A9: $10 (not sure what that'd show up as)
$AA: blank
$AB: blank
$AC: D
$AD: blank
$AE: blank
$AF: K
$B0: blank
$B1: blank
$B2: T
$B3: blank
$B4: blank
$B5: [
$B6: blank
$B7: blank
$B8: b
$B9: blank
$BA: blank
$BB: i
$BC: blank
$BD: blank
$BE: n
$BF: blank
$C0: blank
$C1: u
$C2: blank
$C3: blank
$C4: y
$C5: blank
$C6: blank
$C7: $7F (again, not sure what this would show up as)
$C8: blank
$C9: blank
$CA: $85 (see above.. I won't comment any more about that)
$CB: blank
$CC: blank
$CD: $8B
$CE: blank
$CF: blank
$D0: $91
$D1: blank
$D2: blank
$D3: $9A
$D4: blank
$D5: blank
$D6: $A2
$D7: blank
$D8: blank
$D9: $A6Normal (that's $A6 followed by Normal)
$DA: Fighting
$DB: Flying
$DC: Poison
$DD: Ground
$DE: Rock
$DF: Flying
$E0: Bug
$E1: Ghost
$E2: Fire
$E3: Water
$E4: Grass
$E5: Electric
$E6: Psychic
$E7: Ice
$E8: Dragon
$E9: $FFFFFF (three bytes of $FF)
$EA: blank
$EB: blank
$EC: $FA
$ED: blank
$EE: $03EC
$EF: blank
$F0: $03F8
$F1: blank
$F2: $0403
$F3: blank
$F4: $040E
$F5: blank
$F6: $0418
$F7: blank
$F8: $04! (that's $04 followed by !)
$F9: blank
$FA: $04)
$FB: blank
$FC: $04*
$FD: blank
$FE: $04 6 (that's $04 followed by 6, no space between them)
$FF: blank

Posted by: Stilgar
Date: 2014-05-08 14:58:03
Yeah I've tried seeing the names of the unused badges and the other items on the Japanese version of Stadium but neither names nor descriptions appear, same when trying to see the unused items when they appear as moves (it happens in the mis-translated version of Green) in the Cable Club with a Japanese version of GSC, the game freezes upon attempt.

Date: 2014-05-08 18:59:25
After Wack0 told me he hacked a glitch move on to a Dragonite and it became 'illegible', I used ArtMoney to hack glitch moves on to Pokémon from within battle.

In Stadium, move A6 and other moves looked like this:

[img]http://i3.minus.com/jdvzZo68Heozc.png[/img]

But when I tried to use them, a 'not available' sound effect played and the Pokémon didn't perform the move.

I hacked the move on to Pocket Monsters Stadium, and it appeared as "?????":

[img]http://i4.minus.com/jrovMRf1UzmWU.png[/img]

Like before, I couldn't use it, but this time no sound effect would play when I tried to select it.

I tried hacking moves FC-FF on English Pokémon Stadium 2. All had no name and a tendency to miss (perhaps always missing), so I also hacked in Lock-On to force them to hit. The attack worked and the opponent made an animation like it was hit, but no damage was dealt and there was no noticeable effect, unfortunately.

[img]http://i.minus.com/jt4UC5JmuiVL9.png[/img]