Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Non-Core Game Glitch Discussion

Can someone give me a technical explanation - Page 1

Can someone give me a technical explanation

Posted by: greentyphlosion
Date: 2020-02-25 11:43:58
…of why, when trading between a GBA game and one of the Gamecube titles, the player on the GBA game has to be in a Pokemon Center?

I'm curious as to why this is the case, especially since inter-generational communication for later games (Pal Park, Poketransfer, My Pokemon Ranch) doesn't follow this rule. Is it a hardware limitation?

Re: Can someone give me a technical explanation

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-02-25 12:34:19

…of why, when trading between a GBA game and one of the Gamecube titles, the player on the GBA game has to be in a Pokemon Center?

I'm curious as to why this is the case, especially since inter-generational communication for later games (Pal Park, Poketransfer, My Pokemon Ranch) doesn't follow this rule. Is it a hardware limitation?

Wondering if it may have been because hypothetically you could trade while facing a challenge like one of the Elite Four members, allowing you to cheat (e.g. all your Pokémon are fainted, you trade the fainted ones back to Colosseum/XD to heal them, then trade them back while you're still facing the Elite Four). In X/Y you could actually do something like this with random online battles (to heal your team) if I remember rightly, and Game Freak may have addressed this in a later generation.

Another idea is that it could prevent a potential 'game over', but don't have any context for this latter idea except that there are Pokémon games that say something like "(X) was worried about you./came back. Did it miss you?" if you try to release all your Pokémon with a HM (very sorry, my memory sucks nowadays).

Posted by: greentyphlosion
Date: 2020-02-26 02:52:40
Yeah, you can do this as early as BW with infrared trading during the E4. That's a good point about a potential game over, I hadn't considered that. For that matter, I wonder if the Pokemon League counts as a Center… have to try that at some point.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-02-26 04:28:56

Yeah, you can do this as early as BW with infrared trading during the E4. That's a good point about a potential game over, I hadn't considered that. For that matter, I wonder if the Pokemon League counts as a Center… have to try that at some point.

Ooh I see. OK have fun experimenting. ^^