Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Arbitrary Code Execution Discussion

8F name's origin: does it relate to sliph co? - Page 1

8F name's origin: does it relate to sliph co?

Posted by: TheUnReturned
Date: 2016-07-08 22:20:59
I was thinking for a long long time, why is 8F named 8F?
Is it the elevator buttons of sliph co?
If it really is, I think it could answer 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11F name.
Again, if it really is the same button, why doesn't it does the same thing…is it because we're not inside the lift?
What happens if we use 8F in the lift?
(I'm just a newcomer, so sorry if I said everything wrong)

Re: 8F name's origin: does it relate to sliph co?

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2016-07-09 01:00:39
The name comes from the Elevator listings in the silph co. building.

Posted by: TheZZAZZGlitch
Date: 2016-07-09 03:05:18
The programmers didn't bother creating separate code for item menus and elevator menus.
Instead, they just created dummy items with floor names, and programmed the elevator menu as an item selection screen. The same is true about the Gym Badge man in Cerulean City, and this is the reason why the badge items also exist.

Elevator menus have special triggers that take the player to the proper floor after selecting an option, rather than trying to use the selected item. So, the floor items were never intended to be used, only displayed. If they are actually obtained and normally used, we get all sorts of wonderful glitchy effects.

This quirk in programming has some interesting consequences. For example, in Japanese games, you can actually swap options in elevator menus, just like items can be swapped in item screens. Obviously, this doesn't end very well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMf7_85ifc8
Also, activating the 'buy Master Balls for free' Gameshark code will cause the first option in elevator menus to be replaced with Master Ball. This bugged me out as a kid. The code is constructed to change the first item in any item list to Master Ball, and elevator menus are in fact item lists.

Posted by: TheUnReturned
Date: 2016-07-10 07:06:11

The programmers didn't bother creating separate code for item menus and elevator menus.
Instead, they just created dummy items with floor names, and programmed the elevator menu as an item selection screen. The same is true about the Gym Badge man in Cerulean City, and this is the reason why the badge items also exist.

Elevator menus have special triggers that take the player to the proper floor after selecting an option, rather than trying to use the selected item. So, the floor items were never intended to be used, only displayed. If they are actually obtained and normally used, we get all sorts of wonderful glitchy effects.

This quirk in programming has some interesting consequences. For example, in Japanese games, you can actually swap options in elevator menus, just like items can be swapped in item screens. Obviously, this doesn't end very well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMf7_85ifc8
Also, activating the 'buy Master Balls for free' Gameshark code will cause the first option in elevator menus to be replaced with Master Ball. This bugged me out as a kid. The code is constructed to change the first item in any item list to Master Ball, and elevator menus are in fact item lists.

Ehh…
Is it possible to program a custom floor by changing what does the floor button leads to?
Or change where does the lift button could take you to?
That way we might be able to access everywhere with lift haha