Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Arbitrary Code Execution Discussion

Changing Starter Pokemon with 8f?? - Page 1

Changing Starter Pokemon with 8f??

Posted by: georgewashingmonton
Date: 2017-03-26 04:25:59
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone made an 8f script that changes the 3 starter pokemon that Oak gives you in Pokemon Red/Blue.
—-
A script that I was looking for would involve:
-Randomizing the 3 starters (they would all be different/no repeats, & not be any glitch pokemon), so you can choose which ever one you want.

^^^if the above is too complicated…maybe we can go with a more simple script like…:
-(after you choose a starter, you deposit it in the pc)
-the pokemon in pc box 1, slot 1…will have its species changed to a random legit pokemon (no glitched pokemon) after using 8f
—–
*Note: I am aware of pokemon randomizer roms that allow you to customize much more than just starters…but they don't work on actual consoles.

Re: Changing Starter Pokemon with 8f??

Posted by: naltronix
Date: 2017-03-26 05:23:19
It would need to be running in the background, as using 8F for a romhack would be boring having to trigger the 8F scripts.
See: MrCheeze's Virus.

Re: Changing Starter Pokemon with 8f??

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-03-26 13:01:17
Not even needed. Just write something to $DF00 onwards, then partially reset the game (reset but don't clear WRAM after $DEFF). Doable if you have a save file with 8F on the cartridge you want to run the thing on.

What do you mean by "no repeats" ?
Wouldn't be simpler to just give you the Pokémon you want ?

Also, you CAN play randomized ROMs on console, you just need to fix their headers so the console will think they are legit.
Ask if you want a setup to "legitimate-ify" such a ROM (are you on Windows or Linux ?)