Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Arbitrary Code Execution Discussion

What ISN'T Possible With ACE? - Page 1

What ISN'T Possible With ACE?

Posted by: SuperNova
Date: 2017-04-14 00:25:36
So far, we've found the ability to complete the early Pokemon games incredibly quickly- even going so far as to beat other GB and GBC games with the correct usage of ACE. We can turn Pokemon into snake, and link battles into multiplayer games of pong. However, as someone with very limited knowledge of the exact behind the scenes (simply because I'm a bit of an airhead when it comes to anything related to code), I've always wondered what isn't possible using ACE.

Is there anything? Are there things we simply can't do with the in game bugs that allow us to write our own memory? I'd also be interested in any snags that came up when ACE was first really exploited if anyone has any resources for me to take a look at. Thanks!

Re: What ISN'T Possible With ACE?

Posted by: camper
Date: 2017-04-14 03:40:42
It's impossible to do something outside of the hardware's capability. You can't make the game play the FRLG version of Pallet Town, for example.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-04-14 08:51:00
camper pointed out the first problem. Although the example might be incorrect (having seen the latest Yellow TAS playing "still alive"… :P)
But, for example, you can't make a higher-resolution display. The hardware simply doesn't allow it.

The second thing you can't do with ACE is modify ROM. You can emulate modifications (see SMB3 "total control" TAS) but they aren't permanent.
The next problem is the possible lack of RAM : the space where you can store your custom code can be very restricted, which means payloads too large aren't possible.

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2017-04-14 12:08:54
Has no one seen what date the "Still Alive" TAS was uploaded?
I put the video on the Discord server… then saw the date and knew I was bamboozled.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2017-04-15 00:34:42

Has no one seen what date the "Still Alive" TAS was uploaded?
I put the video on the Discord server… then saw the date and knew I was bamboozled.

February 5th.

Date: 2017-04-15 11:44:58
The one I saw was uploaded April 1.

…wat.

Posted by: Flandre Scarlet
Date: 2017-04-15 15:23:13
TAS Videos channel uploaded it on April 1st. Mr. Wint uploaded on his personal channel earlier.

Date: 2017-04-15 16:58:22
Ah. I'm just an idiot, then.
Whatever.
It's still cool, though.