Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Arbitrary Code Execution Discussion

Having trouble turning Pokémon shiny using ACE in Yellow - Page 1

Having trouble turning Pokémon shiny using ACE in Yellow

Posted by: Lumi
Date: 2017-08-06 16:22:03
I'm having some trouble trying to turn Pokémon shiny using ACE in the Virtual Console version of Yellow and would appreciate any help you can give.

Up until the point of trying to turn a Pokémon shiny I've been following this guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/5q8zlg/getting_gen_1_mew_in_yellow_guide_does_not_work/

It's been working well and I'm able to use the codes mentioned in that guide (which takes its information from this site), but I've hit a wall trying to turn my Mew shiny. I've tried several codes that are floating around and none of them worked.

Thankfully the codes didn't wipe my save but I've run out of things to try. I did try the search function to look through the forums but didn't find anything specifically about turning Pokémon shiny. I know the DV's need to be 10 for Attack, Special and Speed, as well as 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15 for Defense for a Pokémon to be shiny after being transferred to Sun or Moon, I just have no idea how to accomplish that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using the English version of Pokémon Yellow on Virtual Console.

I have the 'ws# #m#' item and the following 11 Pokémon set up in my box: 233 HP Seel ,Parasect, Growlithe, Magikarp, Psyduck, Flareon, Tentacool, Female Nidoran, and three other Pokémon.

Re: Having trouble turning Pokémon shiny using ACE in Yellow

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-08-07 06:11:12

I'm having some trouble trying to turn Pokémon shiny using ACE in the Virtual Console version of Yellow and would appreciate any help you can give.

Up until the point of trying to turn a Pokémon shiny I've been following this guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/5q8zlg/getting_gen_1_mew_in_yellow_guide_does_not_work/

It's been working well and I'm able to use the codes mentioned in that guide (which takes its information from this site), but I've hit a wall trying to turn my Mew shiny. I've tried several codes that are floating around and none of them worked.

Thankfully the codes didn't wipe my save but I've run out of things to try. I did try the search function to look through the forums but didn't find anything specifically about turning Pokémon shiny. I know the DV's need to be 10 for Attack, Special and Speed, as well as 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15 for Defense for a Pokémon to be shiny after being transferred to Sun or Moon, I just have no idea how to accomplish that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the 'ws# #m#' item and the following 11 Pokémon set up in my box: 233 HP Seel ,Parasect, Growlithe, Magikarp, Psyduck, Flareon, Tentacool, Female Nidoran, and three other Pokémon.

Hi Lumi,

I think for editing I personally recommend setting up the reusable RAM writer (pseudo-GameShark). This way you can write any address to RAM, WRAM you want.

The reusable RAM writer is as such from item 3:

Lemonade x(xx)
Carbos x(yy)
X Accuracy x(zz)
Poké Ball x119
Carbos x211
Lemonade x0
X Accuracy x35 (x34 in Yellow)
Poké Ball x34
HP Up x34
HP Up x34
TM01 x0

The Lemonade (xx) represents the value. The Carbos (yy) is the first byte of the address, and the X Accuracy (zz) is the second byte of the address. Many addresses can be found here and here. When you use this code, the quantities of xx, yy and zz reset back to 0 (or 256), allowing you to make any edit you want again and again.

For making a Pokémon Shiny, as you said originally it was supposed to be 10 in Speed, Defense, Special and 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15 in Attack. Pokémon Bank changed it for unknown reasons to be 10 in Speed, Attack, Special and 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15 in Defense.

The addresses in question are two of the DV bytes. Attack/Defense IV and Speed/Special IV. For Pokémon 1 these are D186 and D187 respectively, which in Yellow are -1 of the original (as is the case with many memory addresses in Yellow), so are D185 and D186.

Now, the values we need are represented by one nybble (digit) of the byte; upper-most nybble first, and are AF (Attack=10 [A], Defense=15 [F]) and  AA (Speed=10 [A], Special=10 [A]).

This means the first edit we need to do is Lemonade x 175 [AF], Carbos x 209 [D1], X Accuracy x 133 [85], which will apply the Attack/Defense DVs to party Pokémon 1.

The second edit we need to do is Lemonade x 170 [AA], Carbos x 209 [D1], X Accuracy x 134 [86], which will apply the Speed/Special DVs the party Pokémon 1.

If you ever want to convert hexadecimal into decimal yourself, Windows Calculator on programmer mode is a great tool.

I don't know if Pokémon Bank 'fixed' the DV thing and Bulbapedia doesn't say it has, but in case it did the bytes would instead be FA and AA, which would be Lemonade x 250 [FA], Carbos x 209 [D1], X Accuracy x 133 [85] and Lemonade x 170 [AA], Carbos x 209 [D1], X Accuracy x 134 [86].

I hope this helps and good luck! :)

Date: 2017-08-07 07:07:07
Thank you so much for your thorough explanation, that's really helpful!

Playing around with ACE is so exciting, but trying to understand what I was actually doing got confusing real quick. I feel like you just opened up a whole new layer of possibilities. Thank you again for taking the time to explain it all in such detail. You're amazing!

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-08-07 07:33:14

Thank you so much for your thorough explanation, that's really helpful!

Playing around with ACE is so exciting, but trying to understand what I was actually doing got confusing real quick. I feel like you just opened up a whole new layer of possibilities. Thank you again for taking the time to explain it all in such detail. You're amazing!

Aww thanks. You're very welcome! :)

Yeah the first time I learned about arbitrary code execution (which was only for Japanese versions then) it seemed alien to me as well. I feel once you think it's like a database with the bytes themselves (from items in this case) representing the code it becomes more familiar. This page is also useful for learning how to program in Game Boy ASM when used in combination with this.

Date: 2017-08-10 14:35:37
Alright, so…. I'm having some trouble managing multiple 0 or over 99 stacks. I noticed that a stack of 255 morphs another stack of 255 into the same type of item in storage. I also don't have a clue how to maintain a stack of 0 while grabbing another stack from the PC. A 0 stack turns into 255 when taken out. I'm sure I'm missing something stupidly obvious but I could really use a couple more pointers on how to have multiple stacks of something in your inventory and still be able to use codes to get multiple stacks of another item.

Date: 2017-08-10 15:12:34
Nevermind, I'm a doofus. Early on someone said I shouldn't have any items in my inventory other than those of the code I'm using, but the item decreasing works fine with other items below the code, so I'm sorted.

Posted by: Snorlax
Date: 2017-09-29 15:02:13

Hi Lumi,

I think for editing I personally recommend setting up the reusable RAM writer (pseudo-GameShark). This way you can write any address to RAM, WRAM you want.

The reusable RAM writer is as such from item 3:

Lemonade x(xx)
Carbos x(yy)
X Accuracy x(zz)
Poké Ball x119
Carbos x211
Lemonade x0
X Accuracy x35 (x34 in Yellow)
Poké Ball x34
HP Up x34
HP Up x34
TM01 x0

The Lemonade (xx) represents the value. The Carbos (yy) is the first byte of the address, and the X Accuracy (zz) is the second byte of the address. Many addresses can be found here and here. When you use this code, the quantities of xx, yy and zz reset back to 0 (or 256), allowing you to make any edit you want again and again.

For making a Pokémon Shiny, as you said originally it was supposed to be 10 in Speed, Defense, Special and 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15 in Attack. Pokémon Bank changed it for unknown reasons to be 10 in Speed, Attack, Special and 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15 in Defense.

The addresses in question are two of the DV bytes. Attack/Defense IV and Speed/Special IV. For Pokémon 1 these are D186 and D187 respectively, which in Yellow are -1 of the original (as is the case with many memory addresses in Yellow), so are D185 and D186.

Now, the values we need are represented by one nybble (digit) of the byte; upper-most nybble first, and are AF (Attack=10 [A], Defense=15 [F]) and  AA (Speed=10 [A], Special=10 [A]).

This means the first edit we need to do is Lemonade x 175 [AF], Carbos x 209 [D1], X Accuracy x 133 [85], which will apply the Attack/Defense DVs to party Pokémon 1.

The second edit we need to do is Lemonade x 170 [AA], Carbos x 209 [D1], X Accuracy x 134 [86], which will apply the Speed/Special DVs the party Pokémon 1.

If you ever want to convert hexadecimal into decimal yourself, Windows Calculator on programmer mode is a great tool.

I don't know if Pokémon Bank 'fixed' the DV thing and Bulbapedia doesn't say it has, but in case it did the bytes would instead be FA and AA, which would be Lemonade x 250 [FA], Carbos x 209 [D1], X Accuracy x 133 [85] and Lemonade x 170 [AA], Carbos x 209 [D1], X Accuracy x 134 [86].

I hope this helps and good luck! :)

Hi Torchickens. I'm playing the Italian version of Pokemon yellow, and I'm trying to make my Pokemon shiny too, but without success. I set up my inventory as you suggested, putting in the current box the Pokemon shown in Lumi's post, but using ws m only changes the names of the first three items to glitchy symbols. Am I missing anything? I also tried other setups I found around the web, but most of them are outdated, as Game Freak recently changed the way of determining shininess of the Pokemon transferred from rby, reverting to the original 15/10/10/10 dv spread.
I've really run out of ideas, so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Posted by: jfb1337
Date: 2017-09-29 16:44:33
Non english versions have a different memory layout, so the codes need to be adjusted a bit, and so does the setup of which pokemon need to be in the box too I think

Posted by: Snorlax
Date: 2017-09-29 18:18:21
Thanks for answering jfb. I was suspecting something like that. Sadly, I'm totally clueless about how to make the necessary adjustments, so I definitely need some extra help ^^

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2017-09-29 18:34:14
Over the last monthes, we've been explaining the same things about how to design your own 8F code, and how to adapt it to a european non-english game. Not more than a few days ago, I've been talking about adapting codes to european games in the main thread and a while back there has been posts on a shinyzer code with european adaptation included, and there has been a lot of similar questions that has been answered by people here.

I truely believe one of the points of this board is to help people with their glitch troubles. If you have any issue with your codes, I'll be glad and happy to provide any help I can (and even in Italian, since I speak it - contact me via PM if needed). But it's also true to say that we would be more efficient if people could try to find answers by carefully reading similar threads before asking the same things :) and in the same way, if you go into the effort of learning how 8F works, how to deal with RAM, how to deal with opcodes, which truely is not difficult, it could be a great help for you people, as you would be able to fix 90 % of your issues alone and you wouldn't have to wait for people to answer your posts!  ;D