Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Arbitrary Code Execution Discussion

A minimalistic (yet functional) Pseudo-Gameshark GUI with 8f - Page 1

A minimalistic (yet functional) Pseudo-Gameshark GUI with 8f

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2017-11-11 16:57:26
Hey all. Recently, I've been developing a program that allows you to enter in codes at your disposal; similar to that of a gameshark.

Conveying the concept into words is difficult, so instead I have provided a video demonstration as well as some attached photos. Nota bene, the youtube video is inaccurate, as it demonstrates that the volume is muted (this has been changed), and it claims that the program must be written at $D8C5 (this has been fixed, it now can fit into $D901)

Basically, it's a GUI that acts as a memory editor, allowing you to change any byte in memory that you desire.

To use, first write these bytes at $D901 (if you're on hardware, this can be done with this RAM writer)

Then, arrange your bag as the following:
8f
Any Item
Carbos  x217
X Accuracy  x1
TM33    xany

After this, arrange your party in the usual 8f bootstrapping format. Once this has been accomplished, you now have a Pseudo-Gameshark program at your disposal :).

Syntax goes as follows:
First 2 characters = Byte to write
Second 2 characters = Low byte of address
Final 2 characters = High byte of address

Here are some codes for use with this (note that if there are more than one lines of code, this means the program is used once for each line):

x255 Master Balls in slot 2
0120D3
FF21D3

Encounter any Pokemon
XX59D0

Replace XX with the SpeciesId

Walk through walls
0138CD

… and many more is possible with this program.

Here are the known drawbacks

-Encountering any trainer overwrites $D901 (unfortuantely there isn't much I can do regarding this :( )
-This program is rather large. If you're planning on writing this on hardware, ensure you have at least an hour to spare
-It's impractical

I understand the impracticality of this, and frankly this was more of "for the lulz" project more than anything. But if you like this idea,feel free to try it out.

Here's the source for anyone who's interested.

Re: A minimalistic (yet functional) Pseudo-Gameshark GUI with 8f

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-11-11 17:59:43
DebugYellow's would work well. Go copy that. :P
seriously nice job tho

Date: 2017-11-11 18:24:03

DebugYellow's would work well. Go copy that. :P
seriously nice job tho

Wait, this was already done?! Welp, there goes my weekend project :P

If you wouldn't mind, would you please link me to the original post?

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-11-11 21:25:42
Not exactly like yours, it's an entire suite of shit but it includes a memory writer too.
As for the link, I don't have it. Go poke through TheZZAZZGlitch's youtube channel until you find it, it's got its own video in everything.

Date: 2017-11-11 22:36:28
Ah, I believe I may know what you're referring to. It was probably this ROM hack.

My project was an attempt at making a similar memory writer without manipulating the ROM in any way, using 100% 8f exploits, which allows the program to be written on a real cartridge (provided you have an hour to spare lol). I wasn't necessarily aiming for practicality, I was instead demonstrating for myself (and hopefully others) the limits of 8f.

Thank you for pointing that out, however. I had found ZZAZZ's debug menu a few years back but had forgotten about it since.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-11-12 09:22:52
Amazing work Couldntthinkofaname :)

Not exactly like yours, it's an entire suite of s**t but it includes a memory writer too.
As for the link, I don't have it. Go poke through TheZZAZZGlitch's youtube channel until you find it, it's got its own video in everything.

Ah, I believe I may know what you're referring to. It was probably this ROM hack.

Yes that's it.

A Japanese user named Offgao also made a memory viewer/editor for the original game, where you can browse the memory in real time and adjust addresses. Cryo ported it to English versions.
https://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=7773.0

Before that there was a Japanese website that hosted a video of a memory editor more similar to yours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRNQrkFXA-0

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2017-11-12 10:51:24
That's very nice anyway, good work! :)