Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Arbitrary Code Execution Discussion

Pokemon Yellow (German Version): Will this code work? - Page 1

Pokemon Yellow (German Version): Will this code work?

Posted by: MatRazer
Date: 2018-10-29 14:17:32
Hey,
a few days ago I found this on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/5q8zlg/getting_gen_1_mew_in_yellow_guide_does_not_work/

It's a guide on how to get a Mew in Pokemon Yellow that can pass through Pokebank with ws#m# (ws I' m in the German version).

So I followed this guide and despite some difficulties because I am playing on the German version I've got to the point where I have the right OT and Trainer ID.

So now my question, this is the bag code get any Pokemon in the english version:

ws# #m#/any item

ws# #m#/any item

Item 3: Repel x[SpeciesIndex]

Item 4: X Speed x14

Item 5: Ultra Ball x64

Item 6: TM05 x89

Lemonade x201

I don't know if it will work on my German game and I don't wanna risk loosing my safe file because I've already gotten so far.

I would be very grateful if somebody could tell me if this code will work for me, and if it doesn't maybe tell me one that does :).

By the way, my special PC Box has the following Pokemon:

Tangela as the 1st (233 HP)
Nidoking as the 2nd
Metapod as the 3rd
Haunter as the 4th
Flareon as the 5th
Parasect as the 6th
Kadabra as the 7th
Tentacool as the 8th
Grimer as the 9th
Any Pokémon as 10th

Re: Pokemon Yellow (German Version): Will this code work?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-11-03 12:16:28
The PC box is correct for your version (and will work for French, German, Italian and Spanish Version).

However, it seems if you want to use GivePokemon, you may need to adjust the x89 quantity and the Lemonade to different quantities/items.

This is because x89 and Lemonade following the TM05 represent "call 3E59" (call "GivePokemon"); in the German Version you will likely need to call a different address. A lot of the time, the locations to subroutines in different language versions are completely different. However, there is a chance the code may still work.

I'm afraid I don't know the equivalent address and can't look it up as I don't use emulators to reverse engineer anymore, sorry. But the general method is to use a hex editor to look for similar code, for instance GivePokemon in English Yellow begins with "ld a,b ld (cf91),a" so you would need to look for a sequence like 78 EA 96 CF (or 78 EA 91 CF); depending on whether address CF91 is offset by +5 in the German Version.

It's possible to do it without emulators though; you will need to install a memory viewer (example) which without a cheating device can take a lot of time. You can use it to look at the region around 3E59 to see if you can find the equivalent routine. If no one gets back, I will buy a German Yellow cartridge and install the memory editor to see if I can find the equivalent address for you.

If you don't want to use GivePokemon, there is a solution with a simpler item setup, which is to set D05D to 0x15 (Mew) instead. This works similar to a Trainer-escape glitch (Mew glitch) encounter, in which when the Start menu is closed, a wild Mew will appear. The Level of the Mew will depend on the last withdrawn Pokémon from a storage box (you may need to deposit it too, unsure).

For this, you will need at Item 3:

Lemonade x21
TM34 x93
TM08 x201

Then, say you wanted a Level 5 Mew; deposit and withdraw a Level 5 Pokémon and use ws m (as usual however, the stored Pokémon setup in the current box after withdrawing the Level 5 Pokémon should be correct). After closing the menu, a Level 5 Mew should appear.

Hope this helps! :)

Date: 2018-11-04 16:44:01
Hey thank you for your reply! :)

I will try to do the secound method you mentioned, the one with the encounter.

So i need to have this in my bag, right?

1. ws I' m
2. Any item (Probably a Masterball to catch Mew)
3. Lemonade x21
4. TM34 x93
5. TM08 x201

Just to be sure :)

Date: 2018-11-05 04:04:11
You're welcome.

So i need to have this in my bag, right?

1. ws I' m
2. Any item (Probably a Masterball to catch Mew)
3. Lemonade x21
4. TM34 x93
5. TM08 x201

Yes, that right. Good luck! :)

Date: 2018-11-05 07:24:07
Great it worked perfectly! :D

Thanks again for your help :)

Date: 2018-11-05 09:17:58
Awesome, pleased to hear! :)

Pleasure! ^^