Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Arbitrary Code Execution Discussion

Blind mode - Page 1

Blind mode

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-12-08 10:56:16
A silly exploit that requires arbitrary code execution (see attached files). You can use it to set challenges like going through the whole of Viridian Forest without knowing what's going on. There are different types of blinds modes including those that make it harder to know where you are or (without additional knowledge) impossible without pressing Start or entering a battle.

The glitch corrupts the screen in a way that it no longer shows exactly where you are, and this effect lasts even after you change maps, Fly away or end a battle.

I found something like a blind mode years ago, but it required cheats https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxGD2R0vgWI

General idea:

Pikachu's Beach ACE method (partial blind mode):

With Pikachu's Beach ACE, call 02FA so you can open the Start menu and then Fly away.

Other menus like trade screen:

Run the following code in Red/Blue:

ld b,10
ld hl,5245
call 35d6
ret

A blind mode should activate afterwards.

Re: Blind mode

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2018-12-08 16:34:02
>doesn't blank the screen entirely or turn off the LCD

i've been lied to

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-12-08 16:57:58

>doesn't blank the screen entirely or turn off the LCD

i've been lied to

Yeah. On cursory analysis I don't know how to do that yet, sorry.

However, this is kind of like a 'drunk mode'.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2018-12-08 17:21:29
http://gbdev.gg8.se/wiki/articles/Video_Display#FF40_-_LCDC_-_LCD_Control_.28R.2FW.29

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-12-08 18:01:16
Turning off the LCD would cause the game to lock up due to lack of VBlank.
You could use OAM DMA hijacking to set all palettes to a solid color, if you wanted to.