Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Arbitrary Code Execution Discussion

New method of Arbitrary Code Execution? - Page 1

New method of Arbitrary Code Execution?

Posted by: joshuarpl
Date: 2018-12-30 12:20:51
I think I might've just discovered a new method of Arbitrary Code Execution!
What I did is I got a B1F, and I edited the memory of $A7D0, so I think it is not really a method of Arbitrary Code Execution, but it still executes code, so it kind-of is!

Re: New method of Arbitrary Code Execution?

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-12-30 15:34:36
B1F ACE is already known and has been explored by TheZZAZZGlitch.
If you don't explain what memory editing you did, then it's not a new ACE method, just a (not so) new ACE item.

Date: 2019-01-01 16:06:28

OK, but I use the BGB Debugger for changing and messing with the memory, as well as setting up 8F setups, because I don't wanna waste time getting the items and duplicating then with the MISSINGNO. glitch!

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2019-01-01 16:43:05
Hello!

Thanks for your interest and research in the ACE field! As ISSO says, this one is known already and there are countless ACE items in the game - it can even possibly be different between localizations.

I believe we already have a lot of knowledge regarding english games in the individual item pages of the ItemDex, so you can click items and learn what is known about them. What actually could be a good research project is to create setups for some of these items which are not oftenly used because the ACE starts at some undescribed/difficult-to-use point. Don't hesitate to go that way :)

To give you an idea, I have been spending a few days working on glitch items in French Games and detected 18 ACE items in R/B and 8 in Yellow. Possibly more could trigger ACE under certain conditions. Given some time, I will edit the itemdex to add french glitch items categorized into the 8 types of effects I am aware of (Rival's Effect, Unterminated Name, Tile Writer, Partial Escape, Screen Data Saver, ACE, Screen Refresher and Battle Starter)

Date: 2019-01-02 14:53:06
Hm, I now know that its already a method of ACE, thanks for telling me that!
Also, Arbitrary Code Execution is my favorite glitch! You can do a-lot with it, Heck! What can't you do with it?

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2019-01-03 19:30:10
You can't modify ROM, so you can't alter the game's programming. Best you can do is either run a copy of the game loop in RAM (but then you're limited by space), or alter memory in ways that alter its behavior. Both have limits.