Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Arbitrary Code Execution Discussion

How to get similiar effects to 4 4's true cry - Page 1

How to get similiar effects to 4 4's true cry

Posted by: joshuarpl
Date: 2019-01-07 21:14:35
Alright, so you know what this is from the title, and I'll show you how to get an effect pretty similiar to 4 4's true cry!
It's simple!
Go into the BGB Debugger, and then go to the address $0038, and then modify code/data on that address ($0038)!
Enter in the text box "jp 0150"
Next, write BF to WRAM address $D058 (encounter address) using the BGB debugger!
Then, click on the Pokemon Yellow window, and then if you have your menu open, close it, You'll get into an encounter, and as expected, you'll see an effect pretty similiar to 4 4's true cry, It seems like the exact same audio, but for me it didn't have the random Pikachu noises, You might hear Pikachu, but I'm not sure, I think it is random! Fact - The glitched Pikachu noises are actually raw data of the ROM as audio from the GameBoy or GameBoy Color! So yeah, Enjoy the glitchy ear piercing while you can!

Reminder - TheZZAZZGlitch was the first to do this!

Re: How to get similiar effects to 4 4's true cry

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2019-01-08 03:34:04
This essentially makes all rst vectors reset the game. Not sure how it can be doing this - got a recording?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-01-08 08:55:08
Wow, this is amazing! Nice find. :)

So it looks like you can also do this with the following Game Genie codes. However, for a physical Game Genie you would need a way of working around the invisible white screen that appears. If you just want to listen to the glitch audio, this may be as simple as just mashing A, as the game still runs, navigating the menu with Start and A, and using an ACE item to encounter 4 4 (hex:BF).

010-3af-e6a
500-39f-e6a
c30-38f-195

This essentially makes all rst vectors reset the game. Not sure how it can be doing this - got a recording?

Here you go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzxTrHNSLJ8

Date: 2019-01-08 18:06:02
I'm very unsure about how this works. The game should just reset, not do this.

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2019-01-09 07:25:57

I'm very unsure about how this works. The game should just reset, not do this.

It's resetting the game with Interrupts enabled. This means that interrupts are enabled while pretty much all RAM is being trashed. I didn't trace what exactly happens, but based on interrupts being enabled at that time there's a pretty big chance that's causing the effect.

Date: 2019-01-09 11:40:08
The boot-up code disables interrupts, doesn't it?