Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Arbitrary Code Execution Discussion

Is there a way to use Arbitrary code execution to change my name in Pokemon Red? - Page 1

Is there a way to use Arbitrary code execution to change my name in Pokemon Red?

Posted by: Shadow
Date: 2019-06-21 18:44:55
I am not very familiar with Arbitrary code execution but I have tried to google search a result to allow me to change my trainer name via this method and I have yet to find anything that answers my question. I am wondering if there is any possible way to change my name via this method of anyone knows how to do it.

Re: Is there a way to use Arbitrary code execution to change my name in Pokemon Red?

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-06-21 20:20:52
This one's pretty straightforward. Simply write bytes starting at D158. However, make sure there is a $50 byte at or before D162. If there is not, it will delete your save file.

Re: Is there a way to use Arbitrary code execution to change my name in Pokemon Red?

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2019-06-22 04:20:28
There's one cool way Haxel wrote for PRAMA; just name a Pokémon with the name you want for the Player, and execute a code to replace the Player's name with that Pokémon's name.

Unfortunately it's for french games, so if you want, I can translate it asap

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-06-22 09:18:51

There's one cool way Haxel wrote for PRAMA; just name a Pokémon with the name you want for the Player, and execute a code to replace the Player's name with that Pokémon's name.

Unfortunately it's for french games, so if you want, I can translate it asap
Might be best to anyway just so we have it.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-06-22 10:08:03
You can also load the name your player menu directly. :) (note: may have to be modified for non-English versions)

06 01 21 5D 69 CD D6 35 C9

ld b,01
ld hl,695d
call 35d6
ret

Have these at item 3;

Awakening  x 1
Carbos    x105
X Accuracy x93
X Attack  x 64
TM05      x214
Revive    x201

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2019-06-23 11:50:06
Wow, that's a killer move. It's probably the best way, yes :)

Anyway, a translation of the code I was mentioning is:

Any
Any
TM50 x181
TM10 x64
TM34 x88
TM09 x46
Calcium x52
X Accuracy x35
Full Heal x201

I did not test it, but it should work. You need to activate once per letter (it will change a bit every time) and one last time for the terminator.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-06-24 15:26:02

Wow, that's a killer move. It's probably the best way, yes :)

Anyway, a translation of the code I was mentioning is:

Any
Any
TM50 x181
TM10 x64
TM34 x88
TM09 x46
Calcium x52
X Accuracy x35
Full Heal x201

I did not test it, but it should work. You need to activate once per letter (it will change a bit every time) and one last time for the terminator.

Thanks! ~

Also, nice! ^^

By the way, if you or anyone else ever wants to call another specific function, or a specific language port to a code and get stuck somewhere,  let me know and I can help.