Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Arbitrary Code Execution Discussion

Question about JP/EN Gen I trading - Page 1

Question about JP/EN Gen I trading

Posted by: metalmario32
Date: 2019-07-27 09:22:26
I've known that Gen I JP/EN trading is broken because of the way memory is stored in these games. This video by Torchickens explains a "remaining HP glitch" with trading (https://youtu.be/inNVrGq2qtc) but I'm not quite sure how it works and the steps are very unclear (at least to me). Could someone please explain?

Re: Question about JP/EN Gen I trading

Posted by: bwill11
Date: 2019-07-27 13:31:00
Where EN and JP versions store the identifier for a Pokemon is different, and as a result of the inconsistency, when trading EN R/B reads JP's 1st slot's second remaining hp address as the identifier for JP's 5th Pokemon. So, for example,  if the 1st Pokemon in JP has its second remaining hp byte as 21, then EN reads that as the 5th Pokemon's identifier is 21, therefore JP's 5th Pokemon is read as a mew in EN. But, there's a catch, as there is a very high chance that the mew's name is unterminated, which can freeze the game. So the steps are
- Make sure both EN and JP have 6 Pokemon. In JP, make sure the second remaining HP byte is equal to the index number of what you want in EN. In EN, make sure you have a Pokemon in the PC box with less than 4 moves.
- Start trading
- Trade whatever from EN in exchange for JP's 5th Pokemon
- The Pokemon you obtain in EN will be a hybrid of something and probably have an unterminated name. To fix the unterminated name, view the stats of the Pokemon in the PC box with less than 4 moves (temporarily terminating the name), and take it to the name rater
-The Pokemon Received in JP is determined the opposite way as that of the Pokemon Received in EN I think, but don't quote me on that

I've never actually tried this, but that's basically what the video said.

Posted by: metalmario32
Date: 2019-07-27 13:38:26
I watched the video again, and I understand. Thanks bwill11!

Posted by: bwill11
Date: 2019-07-27 13:45:46
You're welcome!