Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Arbitrary Code Execution Discussion

Adding several stacks of PP Up to my inventory using map script 0x0B in Route 16 - Page 1

Adding several stacks of PP Up to my inventory using map script 0x0B in Route 16

Posted by: metalmario32
Date: 2019-08-19 14:34:41
Glitch script 0x0B in Route 16 of Cycling Road, west of Celadon City, will add several stacks of PP Up to my inventory. Why this is so is unknown to me, but if anyone could help me explain why, that would be useful. One particular use for this script is the fact that you can fix a corrupted inventory using the script, as you can overflow your item count to 0 and beyond easily.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpz4Vr6t3fA&feature=youtu.be

Please let me know if my audio is still a problem.

Re: Adding several stacks of PP Up to my inventory using map script 0x0B in Route 16

Posted by: bwill11
Date: 2019-08-19 15:10:19
This effect is known. (page on this). Check the MetascriptDex to check whether this has already been found (I would recommend trying the areas that do not have a MetascriptDex page yet, I think most of the stuff worth mentioning has been found in the areas with articles). I don't know why this occurs either, though. By the way, I don't think making an entire new topic for this is necessary (or most of the map script stuff you've found, actually), and putting it in the Gen 1 glitch discussion would probably make more sense.

Your video's audio is mostly fine (the game music doesn't completely drown out your voice), but it's pretty quiet, I had to turn the volume way up. Literally every video editing software has some way to increase the volume of a video, so it should be good if you do that.

Re: Adding several stacks of PP Up to my inventory using map script 0x0B in Route 16

Date: 2019-08-19 21:49:07
Thank you for the feedback. Some of the stuff that I find is already found by accident. Nice to know my voice is ok. Not too good at video editing, sorry. Also, I'll need some guidance on how to edit the wiki.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-08-20 00:31:09
I think one thread for videos demonstrating map scripts would be good. Additionally, showing intended ones alongside glitch ones (Oak's Lab comes to mind) could add a sense of purpose to it too, so that viewers can get a sense of what you're editing rather than just what address it is. This one also isn't ACE as it isn't (to my knowledge) executing code from an area that can otherwise be manipulated, for instance Yellow's 8F executing whatever's at its effect pointer. If the same thing happens every time, I would be unlikely to call it ACE.

As for the audio balance, your voice is clearly audible at a low-ish volume but you could still do with some more lowering of the game audio, or even muting it any time it's not something players are used to hearing.

About editing the wiki, MediaWiki's formatting help has everything that would regularly be used, and with the visual editor now in place you might not need any of it. (I'm probably always going to prefer the sense of consistency and control from the source editor, which are crucial to a wiki, but on the other hand haven't ever had to change any visual edits. The idea is "what you see is what you get" (WYSIWYG), but I personally prefer directly editing "what you get".) For anything else (such as a particular template), just look at another page and copy it. In short, just give it a go if you have something to add. Interest is what's most important, which you clearly have. :)

Date: 2019-08-24 12:17:14
Thank you for all the help you've been giving me recently, Sherkel! It motivates me to continue to do this.